macProVideo.com
Forums
  • tommy
    increasing master volume when it's at full!
    how do i increase the master volume after I've mixed down a song and the tracks and master fader are as high as they can go...how do i get it louder!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: increasing master volume when it's at full!
    Hi Tommy, I'm not a Pro Tools user but do you have any limiter or gain plug-ins that you can use to increase the level? If not, what about mixing it down, exporting it and then importing the mix down into a new session and increasing the level of the fader again. Cheers Rounik
  • tommy
    thanks for that. think you may be onto something with gain plug-in.i'll look into it...
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem! Wish I had a copy of Pro Tools so I could help you out better. Do also look for a limiter style plug-in. That will give you "gain" controls and a "limiting" feature (the level can't go above xxdB). This can help make your audio mix dynamically louder. Cheers Rounik
  • Miss Michelle
    Oh, this was really helpful. I am so glad I check the forum first. Thanks so much.
  • noiseman
    Re: increasing master volume when ...
    At the risk of sounding flippant, next time you record, make sure your levels are hot enough (and avoid clipping, of course!) If your gain staging is set properly, you shouldn't have the problem of having to crank your mixes.
  • TimDrums7
    http://www.masseyplugins.com/plugins/l2007 That has a fantastic mastering limiter for absolutely free. In my opinion it is the best limiter plug-in that there is. Also, use the phase scope plug-in on your master channel and see where your RMS values are (set drop down to RMS) - typical cd mixes range from -14 to -8 while radio mixes can get up to -6. I don't suggest that extreme, I never go past -10. Too much compression will kill your mix. Using the phase scope takes second guessing out of if your mixes/masters will be loud enough when listening on things other than your studio set-up.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: