macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Richard Nash
    Is it necessary to know Pro Tools well to be successful?
    Hi everybody, I know this question is old and beaten down to some, but I just wanted to get MPV peoples opinions on this topic. Do you guys think that it is necessary to know Pro Tools to be a success in the audio industry today behind the boards? I personally like to use Logic and Live, and my dealings with Pro Tools have been limited and un-inspiring. I'm curious as to other people's opinions on this forum because of the large number of Logic users present. Have any of you people found success without Pro Tools at all? Is it something you eventually must pick up for greater success? Please just muse on the topic if you have an opinion. Thank you for your time, MP
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Is it necessary to know Pro Tools well to be successful?
    Hi Melodious, What do you want to be successful at in the audio music industry? If you're gonna compose to film from a home studio, then it may not be necessary... but if you plan on working in studios then it can't hurt to know your way around a Pro Tools rig. I think Logic is gaining more market share, but Pro Tools is still widely used and you may appreciate knowing it better for certain tasks. My 0.02c! Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Melodious, I concur with Rounik... and find Logic is a great DAW for the composer. But having spoken to many professional people who work in Music and TV Production it is, in their opinion, that Pro Tools is the "Industry Standard". So knowing your way around it would proably be desirable, if not highly recommended, for a career in professional audio. Having said all that, it depends on you and what you want to do... And standards change... Plus learning new stuff is fun... Cheers, Bj : )
  • Revo
    What type of music do you mainly deal with or wish to deal with in your ideal job? I personally am into more electronic oriented music and know that most top producers of "electronic" music use logic. Armin van Buuren, Steve Angello, Olav Basoski =) all definitely love logic. In the end if you want to be a producer I don't think it matters, though it can't hurt. Totally different story if you want to be an engineer and work for a studio as you would be dealing with many different clients on a daily basis who all have their own preferences. In other words, what Rounik said. At 18 and only interested in producing, as opposed to being an engineer, Pro Tools is not yet in my arsenal. However, I do plan on learning it someday when I have the time & money.
  • mirek
    i agree.., if you want to work in the 'industry' you need to know ProTools.., there is no way around that.., home set up is different and PT may not be necessary (but it helps if you have a lot of hardware0. mirek
  • bobdemaa
    I think that yes. If you are going to be "behind the boards" ie. recording / mixing engineer you will need to know pro tools. However, pro tools is sort of a shallow pond compared to the large lake of Logic. So the good news here is that with a few basics under your belt you'll be able to get around in ProTools very easily. Spend a few weeks in the hot seat as a PT engineer and you'll have 90% of what you need to know. For Mixing I use both and I prefer to be in logic. If I get a mix from someone for hire I get stems and bring it all into Logic, but not always. Sometimes the project just isn't worth the additional work. If it's in PT, I might leave it in PT where essentially the exact same work gets done. If you are writing then there's not really a question that Logic is going to be more fun, and no one will fault you for writing in Logic and not knowing pro tools. Plenty of composers know a single DAW and do all their work with it. Over time you'll become familiar to a degree with all of them. But the best thing to do, and my official advice on the matter is. Pick your favorite to start with and Learn it inside out. Everything you learn can apply to all the other systems in most cases. Don't get stuck on worrying about what you think you should or shouldn't know. Pick the one you like and learn something new in it every single day. I've been using Logic for 14 years, and I still learn something new every day. cheers, bd
  • mirek
    while in essence i might agree.., though there is no way one can learn protools in two week?? maybe enough to do some sort of basic project.., maybe!! Protools.., while simplicity is its very magic.., is by no means an easy app to master. as far as writing.., maybe you havent tried PT 8 yet?? myself i use cubase but PT 8 is looking wrting friendly.., looks like they got the best from all apps and created PT8.., though im not too sure about its noise reduction?? i prefer the one in STP or the stand alones i have. i use a number of apps and stand alones, like izotope RX for example 9which is also protols friendly but if the file is very big i use it stand alone).., they all have their pros and cons. ive been using cubase for many years so logic was easy to learn.., cant say that translated to protools though. i needed someone experienced to show me my way round. Now that PT8 is here.., theres a few more things i need to understand. some of their 'plugins' are more like stand alone modules. i see here there is even a tut for elastic time being made.., im waiting for that one. each to his own :)
  • bobdemaa
    Two weeks, hmm I should have been more specific. I think that if someone has at least basic engineering skills under their belt, meaning they already understand how the recording process goes... The "Basic" pro tools functions are a walk in the park. Arming tracks, recording, basic editing. It's easier in PT than Logic really, which is one of the reasons it is so popular. Plus being in the hot seat for session work with clients in the room will teach most new engineers more in two days than they'd otherwise learn in two weeks ; ) To master Pro Tools it in two weeks? No. won't happen. That will depend on how much effort is put into it, and that amount of time is different for us all. For someone who is sitting down and never touched a DAW, or never been through the recording process a number of times then forget about it... Or if composing or remixing is involved then it becomes a different process but one I don't associate with the phrase "behind the boards" My assumption from the original post was that there was a little more experience involved and possibly recording school... as a side note Izotope RX rocks doesn't it! Love that app. best, bd
  • mirek
    agreed on all points :) took the words right out of my mouth. m:)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: