macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Balukuy
    score
    New to PT8. How to use the score? Do you have to convert the regions to MIDI files to make it work? Any tip?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: score
    Hi nick mick, I'm more of a Logic user myself... but my understanding is you need to have a MIDI region before you can edit it in the Score Window. You cannot edit audio regions in the Score Window. Thanks Rounik
  • Balukuy
    Aha.. can you convert existing files to MIDI?
  • Rounik Admin
    Right. I'm not really a PT guy... so here is the theory behind it: To convert say a drum loop to MIDI (that is each hit is mapped to a different MIDI note) you need to cut up the audio drum loop, convert each new region to an independent audio file and load the files into a sampler. Another way to do this, would be to use an app like Melodyne or Drumagog which I believe will essentially give your audio region the flexibility of MIDI editing. Don't know if it will make it available to use in the Score window though. If you are trying to convert a single part, e.g. a drum loop, guitar part to MIDI you'll likely have much much more success than trying to convert a complete symphony with multiple instruments... What are you actually trying to achieve? Have you checked out the Pro Tools tuts. Perhaps they will help you further? [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/browse/ProTools[/url] Thanks Rounik
  • Balukuy
    Want to achieve...well to print down the bass track to a score so a bassplayer could play it real. I am using Finale and does it manually, but if it could be done " as you go" with Sibelius in PT8 there would be a lot of time to save. To put drums to a score is a bit more tricky I belive... but if I could just print down the bass track would be great
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. I see. Logic has a feature called 'Audio to Score' which does what you want. However, AFAIK, Pro Tools doesn't have an equivalent feature... Perhaps you could use Beat Detective to slice up the audio on the bass transients then using that as a map create a score. It would be very manual unfortunately. Hope that helps, Rounik Perhaps some PT users could chime in with alternative suggestions?
  • Balukuy
    Hmm maybe just redo the bass with a midi track. Maybe a good idea in the future to pair all audiotracks with a MIDI track to make things easier...
  • Yol
    Hi, I am trying to understand wich program would be best for me to use and enable me to record a few midi tracks, and then, replay the tracks and see the whole score (all the midi tracks)in music notation to scroll as it plays, and at the same time, add another midi track , as it is playing (real time). I have done it in Garage Band 9 but I can only see the score music notation of one track at a time! I need to see the music notation of all the tracks as it plays: will Logic do this? or Live ? or any other sound program? I would prefer a program wich can also provide good orchestral sounds. Thank you to redirect my quest to appropriate source. I would like to use macpro"s tutorial after I choose the right program. or is there a way to do this in Garage Band ? sorry, I am a begginner in forums. Thanks for help
  • Rounik Admin
    Hello Yol & welcome to the forums :) Both Pro Tools and Logic would enable you to do what you wish. Pro Tools has a very nice Score Editor integration with Finale, while Logic is better for MIDI manipulation. Logic also comes with *possibly* the best built-in instruments and effects of any of the DAWs. Finale and Sibelius are both specifically Score/Notation oriented, but if you're happy enough with GB - aside from it's Score view limitations then I'd recommend Logic Express or Studio. Other Pro Tools users may disagree with me though ;-) Hope that helps Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: