macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sgordon1836
    Safe to Switch from 9 to 10?
    I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts to share regarding making the plunge from PT 9 to 10. I just finished six months of training through Berklee online, in which they use Avid's 101 and 110 coursework and of course supplement it quite a bit. I passed the PT 9 101 exam, and still need to take the 110. I have supplemented all of that with macprovideo's PT core 101 and am just a few videos away from finishing those - they were great supplements for the Berklee training btw, (the Berklee classes, though expensive, are fantastic). Anyway, I have a macpro 2x2.66 dual core intel xeon, with 14 gb ram running osx 10.6.8, with the Apogee ensemble as my interface. Does anyone know of any issues I should be concerned with, and again, any thoughts about making the plunge? I'll probably wait a couple of months, but PT 10 is very enticing. Sorry about the length of this post, but PT 10 is big news for us PT users! Thanks, SG.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Safe to Switch from 9 to 10?
    Its still early days, but from what I have heard it should be a smooth transition from PT9 to PT10. But some bugs could crop up that we don't now of in the next few weeks. I would say jumping in only in a month or so is the best decision. Lets others iron out the bugs.
  • sgordon1836
    Thanks Gary, I agree with your assessment. Anyone else have some ideas? I am especially concerned that my computer and the apogee ensemble won't have problems. Thanks again, SG.
  • Rounik Admin
    I'd suggest cloning your system to an external hard drive using Carbon Copy Cloner before upgrading to PT 10... And definitely don't upgrade your system mid project ;-)
  • GaryHiebner
    Cloning is a great suggestion Rounik. Least this is a good fail safe system. If PT10 gives issues, then you can revert quickly and easily back to PT9 and your old system using Carbon Copy Cloner.
  • sgordon1836
    Thanks guys. I am going to wait, I have plenty to keep me busy for now anyway. The good news is all the work I have done with PT9 will transfer to 10. Perhaps I will make the move in a couple of months. Thanks again, SG.
  • Rounik Admin
    Cool! I gotta say there's some nice additions in PT10 that make working in Pro Tools much more enjoyable... like the Clip-Based Gain and the various import and export improvements... But only upgrade when you're happy to ;-) Cheers R
  • Bill Burgess
    I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading....I've run at least 6 beta versions of 10 before it came out and now I have the released software. Things are very stable. It's great software. I run a Apogee Symphony 32 channel card and a Rosetta 800 w no problems. The Ensemble is more fussy in general but Apogee is great about updating it's drivers so you may want to check that first.... I like Snow 10.6.8 and that's were I'm staying. When I do go to Lion I will build a new machine entirely up alongside my working system. In the event that I don't have new iron, it will be like our boy Rounik says: Carbon Copy Clone my good system as a fallback position and a clean install of Lion and PT, Logic, Live, Waves on a new startup drive
  • sgordon1836
    Thanks Bill. The Ensemble does present some interesting issues vis-a-vis Pro Tools, especially regarding the Output assignments. But, that is too much for this thread! Anyway, thanks for all the info regarding PT10. I have Level One Certification for Logic and PT and I must say I am enjoying Pro Tools very much.
  • Felix1971
    Gents I switched to 10 with no issues so far Lot of new usfull featuers Hope this will help Felix
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: