macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jideseo
    Can't select Instrument
    Dear Gary, HELP! I am viewing your video âMIDI Quickstart 1 Getting an idea down.â Above the faders are a bunch of grey horizontal stripes. You click on one of these grey stripes and the word âpluginâ appears. You are offered a menu, and from it you choose an instrument... lovely! My experience, unfortunately, is rather different. I chose a Record and Mix Template with 32 tracks and chose all options available. I imported MIDI files from a Logic song. I then tried to apply instruments to said files BUT... the area above the faders is dark (no grey horizontal stripes) and clicking on this area produces nothing. Where did I go wrong? Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Can't select Instrument
    Hi Tim, When you are importing the Logic MIDI files into ProTools are you placing the MIDI files on MIDI channels or Virtual Instrument channels? If you place them on a Virtual Instrument channel, you will them be able to click on the grey box and assign an instrument to the channel.
  • Jideseo
    Dear Gary, I didn't know I could choose! I launched a new song from the template menu: Record + Mix> 32+EQ+Dyn+FX Returns. Then, I pressed 'import' and the Midi objects wound up on Midi channels which have no inserts above the faders. I watched a video, which seemed to tell me that I needed to create an Aux track so that: the Midi track could send info to an instrument on the Aux track. When I did that, the Aux track had inserts BUT there was no 'plugins' option in the menu above the track. I repeated this with an Instrument track but found a similar problem... 'plugins' was visible but greyed out. Since then, I've launched another song from a Hip Hop template which seems to have Midi AND inserts AND instruments all on the same track á la Logic!!!! I AM confused! §:-@ 1) If I ROUTE a signal from a Midi track to an instrument track, will I then be able to choose a plugin there? 2) Why did the video tell me to create an Aux track rather than an Instrument track? 3) If it is possible to do it all on one track, what's all this other stuff about? 4) Is this confusion (maybe) something to do with changes introduced in ProTools 10? Tim PS. It's ProTools 10 PPS. Whenever I launch a new song, I get: "Some outputs or sends were made inactive Please visit the I/O Setup dialog for more information. Some paths were made inactive because they could not be assigned to existing path definitions." Could this be affecting things?
  • GaryHiebner
    ProTools used to use MIDI tracks and then you needed to route them to an Aux track where you would place your virtual instrument. They then implemented instrument tracks in PT 7 which minimized this step from 2 steps to 1 step. For backwards compatibility with older projects they kept it in place that you can still use both a MIDI and Aux tracks still. This is what I recommend: 1. Import you MIDI tracks into ProTools. This will then place them on MIDI tracks. 2. Then create the Instrument tracks for your MIDI (for example if you had 4 MIDI files you imported in, create 4 Instrument tracks.). 3. Then move the MIDI regions from the MIDI tracks to the respective Instrument tracks. Then remove the unneeded MIDI tracks. Now you can assign the MIDI to instruments.
  • Jideseo
    An Avid person provided the answer. I had started from a Record+Mix template. It turns out that this template is set up to record an orchestra or choir with loads of mics and no MIDI, so a bunch of the settings are set to a default position which doesn't allow instruments to be selected. A case of bad titling. I thought that 'record and mix' was what I do... obviously not. Who knew? Regards, Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Oh, ok. If it is setup only for audio, then yes that template won't work for MIDI. Why don't you create your own template for your working environment? Create the number of audio and instruments you need. Assign the correct input and outputs to the audio channels. And insert the instruments you want on the instrument channels. Then save this as your own template which you can use in the future.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: