macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rc
    connecting outboard into pro tools?
    Hi guys. I am running pro tools 10 with rme unit.which is the best way to connect an eq or compressor and use it within my session in pro tools? regards R.C
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: connecting outboard into pro tools?
    What RME audio interface unit do you have? And what connections do you have on your EQ and Compressor?
  • Rc
    hi Gary thanks for the reply. its Rme Hammerfall dsp multiface II. from the comp avalon 747 sp.its xlr connection., thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    What audio are you planning on recording? Vocals? You can plug the Comp Avalon 747 straight into your RME Hammerfall's analog input channel? So it will go Audio > Comp Avalon 747 Input > RME Hammerfall Analog Input. Your Comp Avalon has XLR outputs, whilst the RME Hammerfall has 1/4-inch TRS inputs. If you have a DI box you could go into the DI box and then use 1/4-inch TRS out of the DI box and then into the RME Hammerfall. Or you could use an XLR to 1/4-inch TRS cable.
  • Rc
    hi What I would like to do is use the 747 as an insert during mixing.as I would if I had an external mixer. is this posible?
  • GaryHiebner
    Ok, here is what you need to do: 1. Output the track you want to compress to one of your RME's outputs. 2. Plug that output from your RME into the 747 compressor's input. 3. Then plug the 747 compressor's output into another one of your RME's inputs. 4. Create a new track in ProTools for the compressed audio and make its input the new input you have used on your RME. Record enable the track to hear the audio signal through the compressor. Then when you are happy with the results you can record your newly compressed audio signal.
  • Rc
    ok thanks. what I have been doing is use the insert option in pro tools. so for example I would have channel 3&4 out of RME into the 747 and the 747 out into RME 3&4. is the insert option not a good way to do it? regards.
  • GaryHiebner
    The insert option is a perfect way to go as well. You just won't be recording the processed audio through your compressor. Instead you will be using the auxillary channel with your compressor when you bounce down your track. Both ways are fine, it just depends how you want to use it.
  • Rc
    what do you mean?should I create an aux track for the compressor input? . I have an outboard eq that I have connected the same way and sometimes I like to use the outboard eq with a plug-in compressor. what I have been doing although I am not sure is right. is use the outboard as inserts and then on the same channel set the output to a bus. then create a new channel and set the input to that bus. for some reason I don't feel like I am getting the best out of the outboard gear like I used to when I had a mixer. cheers,
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: