macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Xoxulau
    Pro Tools 401 Mastering videos
    Phil Magnotti, nice tips but appears to be an error in http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/protools10401 He bounces stereo pre-master tracks inside a Pro Tools session at 24bit /48kHz and makes a point of using dither and noise shaping on the Sonnox limiter â to internally record a master print & which would still be at 24/48. (why then dither & noise shaping at this stage?). He then drops the mastered file(s) (shift command K) directly to disk for CD mastering at 16bit/44.1 using 'tweakhead' conversion. This would have the effect of correctly re-sampling from 48kHz to 44.1kHz, but given that no dithering is applied a this stage, the file would be truncated from 24 bit to 16bit - exactly what shouldn't be done, and what he referred to earlier. Odd.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Pro Tools 401 Mastering videos
    Hi profdraper. That does sound a little odd. I'll take a watch through the tutorial again and see. But it does sound like dithering should of been applied at the 48khz to 44.1khz stage, instead of the re-smapling of the audio which is already dithered.
  • Hamish H
    Re: Re: Re: Pro Tools 401 Mastering videos
    Hi profdraper Just found this in Bob Katz Mastering Audio: "[i]Most[/i] software adds the dither and produces the shorter [word]length file at the same time. But sometimes this has to be done in two steps. For example, in a DAW like ProTools, invoke the dither (usually) in a plugin, and then bounce to a new file and tell it explicitly to make the new file 16 bits" So it seems like in protools the file is truncated as an extra step, after dither is applied and the sample rate is changed. As for sample rate,from what I can tell it doesn't matter when the dither is applied as long as there is no more processing before the sample rate is changed. Dither is just noise anyway so it is still present in the new 48/24 file he's printed. And there isn't any more processing here - the next step is to change the sample rate and truncate the wordlength. Its just that it happens in another program instead of in ProTools. So instead of dithering and changing the sample rate as step one, then truncating the file as step two, it sounds like he is dithering as step one, then changing the sample rate and truncating the file as step two. Does that sound possible? H
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: