macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Joe A
    Channel EQ Cuts Cause Level Increase..?
    Neil Gilmartin writes: Quote: I have a channel strip with a Bitcrusher and Channel EQ on it. The Channel EQ is only cutting the very low and the very high frequencies. When I place the Channel EQ before the Bitcrusher, there’s no clipping. When I place the Channel EQ after the Bitcrusher, there is clipping. If I bypass the Channel EQ altogether, there's no clipping. Why is the addition of a Channel EQ making any difference to the heat of the signal? This confuses me all the more because I'm only attenuating frequencies, not boosting any. I would have thought that attenuation would result in an overall gain reduction, not increase. Thanks very much, Neil : End Quote Hi Neil - It's one of the more counter-intuitive aspects of DSP (digital signal processing), but sometimes cutting or filtering with an EQ can result in a slight increase in signal level. Just like all analog EQs, regular (minimum-phase) digital EQs (like Channel EQ) introduce phase shift. As a result, when EQ/filtering is applied it can change the cancellations & reinforcements inherent with any phase-shifted audio, and -- depending on the audio signal and the notes played -- the change to the waveform can result in the overall (instantaneous peak) level of the signal actually increasing somewhat, especially if the level of the signal was already close to the clipping point (it may not be audible as a level increase, but it's a real effect). If you were to swap out the (minimum-phase) Channel EQ for the Linear Phase EQ with the same settings you shouldn't see the same effect -- I tried it and an saw increase of around 2 dB on the (peak) meter with the Channel EQ with highpass & lowpass filters engaged, but no increase with the Linear Phase EQ..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: