macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student453440
    buffer size
    I have some simple 5 track midi things using Halion and Kontakt player with Reaktor etc... but not complicated stuff... I was getting clicks and pops onplayback .... I wondered if the Kontkt was a cpu hog...?? What do you know about it??? I switched the buffer to 384 from 248 and it was much better but I wonder if I can do other things to make up for that problem without raising to 384. I thought it did sound a tiny bit slower in my ears.. is that my imagination? They say return the buffer to normal when you mix...yes???? what do you do when you run into this....?? I went back to work on a GB thing and didnt have that problem.... Is Studio 1 more efficient on computer resources??? I am thinking of trying it... people say its good. I am using a Macbook 2 core i7 8 gigs ram.
  • Student453440
    Re: buffer size
    audio settings say now about 7 ms on latency....? and I changed to 64 from 32 on processing precision....??? Adjust for record latency is checked... Activate multi processing is checked.. Activate ASIO guard is checked... Asio Guard latency is 26ms..... Dont know why I cant paste screenshot here.... record shift is zero... Steinberg RT-2 USB interface
  • Joe A
    Ok, in no particular order.. - Yes , many Kontakt instruments are CPU hogs - Generally I suggest starting with a buffer setting of ~128 (samples), and experiment with higher & lower settings - Higher than 256 would usually be for mixing only (not recording) - The computer spec (dual-core only 8GB RAM) is a little underpowered—i7 is good, but better quad-core with 16GB RAM - ASIO Guard—as a Mac guy I don't know about that, but 26ms is kind of a lot of latency; ideally less than 10-12ms for rec - General notes: close unused applications; turn off WiFi; VIs use up a lot more CPU than audio tracks & plug-ins
  • Student453440
    i went back to 256 and switched to 64 processing. That fixed the pops. I read that any 32 bit VI only process 4 gig ram and no more. I think I will delete any stuff I have that is not 64. Someday I will get a 6 core 16 gig. Just for DAWs.
  • Joe A
    Running 32-bit plug-ins in a 64-bit DAW (when it's even possible) is a kludge at best -- better to stick with all 64-bit software at this point..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: