macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Altvaart
    Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 Serialization screen
    I have a legacy Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 that works, except that it pops up a Serialization screen asking for the serial number. I have to fill this in manually every time I launch DW3. Is there any way to get rid of this screen? Some change in the registry perhaps? Some edit in some other file that DW3 uses to start up?
  • Joe A
    Re: Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 Serialization screen
    Hi Altvaart - That's a really old version, and since you mentioned registry I assume that means you're running it on an older version of Windows..? A quick search only came up with discussions relevant to Adobe CS versions, though I did come across what looks like a legacy support page on the Adobe website, which seems to at least include legacy updaters.. https://www.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver/downloads_updaters.html I'm strictly a Mac guy myself [and not a Dreamweaver user or web designer] so I can't offer any kind of specific advice, but I would think it could be a function of both the Dreamweaver version and the OS version as well. If at some point you find it too much of a pain to keep working with the older version, here's a link to a couple of courses on somewhat newer CS5 versions of Dreamweaver -- they're also a few years old but you might get an idea of whether you'd want to update at some point.. https://www.macprovideo.com/library/application/dreamweaver?afid=E470KLQ7r9 Btw, I'm not a web designer at all [I'm a music guy] but I would think you'd be likely to run into problems doing web design with such an old version, given all the changes to web coding over the years..
  • Altvaart
    Thanks Joe I'm using Windows 10 and it has a Regedit WYSIWYG editor so I don't have to be a tech wizard to find keys and change values. I'm only using it to update my own website ( Kimballpottery.com ). My wife was a potter and pottery teacher, now retired and into sewing for the great grand kids and some machine embroidery. Speaking of which, do you have any suggestions for a program that will scan a picture, photo or hand drawn, and generate a embroidery machine readable file? She is currently limited to designs she can buy. There was one (can't remember the name) that worked - kinda sorta - but it wasn't satisfactory. - - - - (A.n.d. there he goes, highjacking his own thread already. AARGH!)
  • Joe A
    Hi - Hopefully you'll turn up someone who's familiar enough with that combination of Dreamweaver and Windows, or at least who might be able to offer some general advice on troubleshooting the registry for problems of that kind -- *if* that really is where the problem lies in this case.. As to the other, wow, that's a pretty specialized application! I Googled "embroidery software" and was surprised to see a lot of specialized software for an application I didn't even know existed.. I also Googled "embroidery software that can scan an image and output embroidery file" and got a bunch more responses, so I guess there's stuff out there..
  • Altvaart
    Re: Embroidery software
    Sorry I really wasn't asking you to do my research for me. It was more of my brain just wandered off in an unexpected direction and I wondered if you (or other members) knew offhand of any such application. I can look on my wife's computer to remind me of what kind of file the machine uses, but I think I looked in the past and there is little or no info on how the embroidery machine uses the data file. Anyway this is NOT an urgent project. She is generally pretty happy with the designs she buys.
  • Joe A
    No problem, I just got curious since that was an unfamiliar application to me.. :-)
  • Altvaart
    Re: Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 Updater
    Thanks for the links. I tried the Dreamweaver 3 Updater on that site. It seems to completely install an updated version (when it finished I had two copies, both of which worked) but whatever it updated, it had nothing to do with the Serialization screen. I'm not losing patience but I am losing interest. I'll probably just go back to letting that screen pop up and keying in the rest of the serial number, at least for a couple more years by which time I may become frustrated again and try again to find a way to bypass it. As I said at the beginning DW3 works just fine once I get past that screen.
  • Joe A
    I agree, that's probably the best strategy -- it's lucky when a piece of software that old still works at all, so if the annoying startup is the only problem then you're ahead of the game..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: