macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student483460
    crossing frame rates
    Hi Everyone, Recently I directed a music video. It was shot on a Red camera at 23.98 fps. I edited as I always do on FCPX and it went smoothly. After the cut was approved I discovered that the timeline was set at 24 fps. This is something that I never set because I know once you drag a clip into the timeline it conforms to the properties of that clip. I have no idea how this happened and it's NEVER happened before. We did the color grading and I exported out at 24 fps to keep it consistent. I've asked several DP's and editors, and have received mixed responses about how this is going to effect the sync of the video. It looks perfect in the final QuickTime. When this video gets uploaded to YouTube or if it goes on broadcast TV will there be a sync issue? I looked up YouTube specs and it seems like they accept any frame rate but I don't know about broadcast TV. As an experiment, I created a new timeline at 23.98 and imported the final video into that and exported it and it looked find to me. I sent the client the 24 fps version. Am I overthinking this? Most people I have asked said there is no issue especially since it's 3 1/2 minutes but one or two had bad reactions and even suggested I re-cut the video...which I can't do. I am not sure what to do at this point if anything.
  • Joe A
    Re: crossing frame rates
    Hi - Since you mentioned that you edit in FCPX I've moved this thread over to the Final Cut subforum, where I think it might be more likely to catch the eye of other video editors. As an audio guy I can't really offer advice on this, but hopefully another video editor or FCPX guru will have a helpful suggestion..
  • Student483460
    Re: crossing frame rates
    Thank you!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: