macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student460214
    Placeholder in G-Band 10.3??
    This seems trivial B UT - Is there any way to set a bookmark or placeholder in the timeline in G-Band? I want to be able to just jump back to the same spot in the timeline from further out in the song. I know the looper button will repeat play to a spot, but I just want to jump to a spot without starting play. Seems so simple there should be this feature.
  • Joe A
    Re: Placeholder in G-Band 10.3??
    Logic (which GarageBand is based on) has a GoTo shortcut, where you can enter a bar and then just locate to that bar anytime with a quick two-click (the GoTo shortcut and Enter), but this doesn't seem to be implemented in GB (I tried it, but no luck). Of course in GB Play will start at the beginning of a Cycle (when enabled), or a selected Region (with Shift-Spacebar), but the playback cursor doesn't move to that bar until you hit Play. AFAICT the closest you can get in GB is to quickly double-click the Bar display in the Header and type in the desired Bar number, or click the desired bar in the ruler, or shift-click the desired bar anywhere in the Track area background. Not really what you're looking for, I know—I use the GoTo shortcut in Logic all the time. Logic also lets you set shortcuts to cue up to Marker locations, so I tried making Arrangement markers in GB to see if I could get that to work, but again no luck. So it looks like the answer in no, but I'll link this thread to a GarageBand course, maybe someone who uses GB more often will have a suggestion..
  • Student460214
    Joe - Thanks a lot! Now I know I'm not crazy or missing something. I just upgraded to 10.3.4 and am still trying to figure out a few things. Two other problems I've discovered so far: 1 - I follow all the instructions for using flex time to stretch audio file notes. If I try to elongate a guitar chord for example, the flex feature just splits the wave where I place it and segments it instead of stretching it! Not working like the GB video show. 2 - I open the tempo track to adjust the tempo of full project. I have all tracks checked to follow tempo. When applied, it seems there are some tracks that do not synch. A mess! Is there any way to change the tempo of an entire project? You're a great resource - thanks!
  • Joe A
    Hi - 2 - Best guess: In the Edit pane, make sure you've not only turned on the "Enable Flex" checkbox (under Track), but that you also have the "Follow Tempo & Pitch" button enabled (under Region) for all Regions—since that's a Region-based setting if you miss a Region here & there those Regions would end up out of sync. 1 - I tried it here and was able to elongate notes/chords as expected (see screenshot below). Make sure you add a transient marker at both the beginning and the end of a note you want to elongate, and then drag the end marker to lengthen the note. You may have already seen this, but here's a video from one of our basic GB courses that illustrates the use of Flex—maybe it'll be helpful..
  • Student460214
    Thanks again Joe! I did get it to work for the most part - the stretching thing is still squirrelly but got it done acceptably. I followed your direction to change project tempo and it worked! :-) Thanks again! Tom
  • Joe A
    Hi Tom - You're welcome! :-) Those kinds of manual Flex edits can sometimes be dicey, but as long as you don't push the technology too far they can work surprisingly well.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: