macProVideo.com
Forums
  • InFocus
    My eq changes keep getting removed
    When I open up the EQ for a track, say a bass part, and boost a frequency range, then go to play the track, the frequency boost disappears onscreen instantly. Why? What gives? I also noticed that sometimes if I boost or cut on a track, and then view the EQ of a different track in the same project, and then view the original track's EQ, the changes I made to boost/cut are gone. Beyond this, how do you adjust a frequency range precisely in GB? If say I want to boost mids / upper mids (800Hz - 3kHz), is there a way to plug these numbers in for the boost range? Cause when I move the dot in the EQ, I just move the dot over to 1500kHZ and then move it up a little, but the little hill that forms in the EQ spans far wider than 800-3k. Maybe this doesn't really matter anyway, since EQ is both art and science.
  • Joe A
    Re: My eq changes keep getting removed
    Hi InFocus - I can't duplicate the disappearing EQ setting issue here -- try the usual tests (shutdown/restart, test in other Projects, etc).. Re adjusting EQ numerically, you may have noticed that when you hover over an EQ node [the dot] it shows you the settings for that band [Frequency, Gain, Q [bandwidth]] in the lower right of the EQ display; if you select that node [click on it] then you can go down to the numerical readouts and type in the precise values you want. To adjust the range [which is called bandwidth] for that band [the width of the "hill"], you'd tweak the "Q" setting to taste.
  • InFocus
    Thanks. So the Q is basically the range and the higher the Q, the wider the range of the eq boost or cut?
  • Joe A
    Yes, Q is the range, but actually higher Q values correspond to narrower bandwidths -- by way of reference, a Q of 1.4 indicates a bandwidth of 1 octave.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: