macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Student465709
    Using USB Midi for audio output
    Hi folks! Running GB 10.3.4 on Catalina 15.5, I want playback/audio output to go through USB MIDI to the connected MIDI keyboard. Input is no problem. But no matter what I do, output is played back through the MacBook's speakers and not the connected MIDI keyboard. I've spent hours looking for help online and playing with the Audio MIDI setup app and just can't figure it out. 25 years ago, on a PC running Win95 and CakewalkPro with an internal PCI MIDI card, this was no problem. Simply open CakewalkPro, select the MIDI card for output, and viola!
  • Joe A
    Re: Using USB Midi for audio output
    Hi - For troubleshooting, you'd need to provide a little more information. To start with.. - What's the brand & model of keyboard? Are you sure it provides two-way audio over USB, and not just audio in to the computer? - Does the keyboard show up in Audio MIDI Setup and as an option under Output Device in GB's Audio Preferences tab? Since I don't know what your level of expertise is when it come to the technical/hardware side of things, here's a link to a video from one of our courses that discusses hooking up hardware with GB, in case it might be of some help..
  • Student465709
    Hey! Thanks for the quick reply. The keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-510. Quite old, but its synthesizer/sound generator is much better than the built-in synth/sound generator on the MacBook Air. The OS recognizes the USB MIDI connection - it shows up in Audio Midi Setup. In GB, I can select USB MIDI for input, and when I play on the keyboard, GB recognizes and records the incoming MIDI signals. In GB, I cannot select USB MIDI for output. The only options are System Setting or Built-In Output.
  • Joe A
    Wait, I'm confused -- are you trying to output MIDI data or audio? If the keyboard only has MIDI i/o then you can't output audio over that -- MIDI is a data-only protocol; you'd need a USB audio interface to play audio output to external speakers instead of the Built-In Output. On the other hand, if you're trying to output MIDI from GB back to the keyboard [to trigger the keyboard's sounds in playback], then the GB setting you referred to [System Setting or Built-In Output] is for audio, it has nothing to do with MIDI. If you're actually trying to output audio, the you'll need a USB audio interface, not a USB MIDI interface [or a keyboard that can do both], but I can't find any reference to any version of a Yamaha PSR-510 that includes any kind of USB connection -- are you sure that's the correct/complete model number? If you are in fact trying to output MIDI data, I found a PSR-510 manual with some references to various MIDI reception modes [starting on page 58], in case that might be relevant.. https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/4/321934/PSR510E.pdf
  • Student465709
    I'm trying to output MIDI data. The keyboard has MIDI in/out, which I've connected to the MacBook Air via a USB/MIDI cable. GB receives MIDI data in, but does not seem to want to send MIDI data out. I posted the same question in an Apple forum, and the consensus is that GB doesn't do MIDI out. Big limitation of the software. If I want to do MIDI out, I'll need to use a different DAW. Gonna try either Ardour or Logic Pro. Thanks!
  • Joe A
    If your workflow will regularly involve having MIDI playback in the DAW trigger sounds from an external keyboard, then you'll also have to bring that audio back into the DAW during mixdown, or record [render] the keyboard sounds before mixdown, which may require an interface with additional audio inputs [over and above the built-in mic]. If you're used to GarageBand, then Logic would be the obvious choice -- it's way inexpensive for what you get, and it will directly open all your GB Projects [though you may still need additional audio inputs]. You might want to check out this article.. https://ask.audio/articles/is-it-time-to-step-up-from-garageband-to-logic-pro and this course..
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: