macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Pamudaa
    Training on how to get commercial volume?
    I was thinking that on almost every forum home recordists are really concerned with how to get commercial volume from the mixing stage to self mastering stage. Maybe you guys would consider that? It's a very popular subject that can be difficult to get good results without some knowledge based tutorial on how it's done.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Training on how to get commercial volume?
    This is covered in many of our mixing and mastering tutorials. What DAW are you using? We have tutorials which focus on how to mix and master your tracks specific to that DAW. What you are essentially looking at is how to use a brickwall limiter in the mastering stage. This increases the loudness of your track, and also has a ceiling set so that the audio doesn't distort or clip when you raise the input volume. But there is a tradeoff. The more you increase the volume, the more you lessen the dynamic range of the track. So don't get too caught up in the loudness war. Brickwall limiters can give you about 6-8db of gain increase without altering the dynamics too much. But it all depends on how you mixed the track, through to what processors you have applied in the mastering stage. Let us know what DAW you are using and we can recommend specific tutorials for you to watch
  • Pamudaa
    Hi Gary and thanks for the response. I'm using Cubase and what I was getting at was how to get good mixing volume leading up to the mastering before adding loudness plugins. More on perceived volume from just plain good recording habits before slamming a track to death if that makes sense but your tutorial suggestion would be very welcomed. Thanks
  • GaryHiebner
    Matthew Loel T. Hepworth has covered mastering with Cubase quite extensively in this tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/cubase401[/url] The course was done using Cubase 5, but the same techniques can be transposed to Cubase 7.
  • Pamudaa
    Thanks alot Gary. That looked very familiar so I checked my tutorial stock and found that I had actually purchased 401and 101 and I guess I got way side tracked for whatever reason never dug into them. I will now. I have a bad habit of accumulating plugins and I guess tutorials are a close second. Much appreciated.
  • GaryHiebner
    Great stuff! Enjoy the tutorials.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: