macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rushton
    Buying the right monitors?
    Hey ive been doing abit of research as im looking at buying a new set of monitors but i cant find anything on what size is suitable for what size room im looking at getting some krk rokets and a sub any help would be much appreciated Ryan
  • Silk Wolf
    Re: Buying the right monitors?
    Well not knowing your room and size etc, there's not much we can say. But I love my pair of KRK Rokit Powered 5's. I'd say my studio is approximately 10'x15' give or take a little. They are great for a small/project/home studio. I would have gotten the RP8s if I could have at the time but got a great deal on the RP5's. The 8" have a little more low range. I'm looking at getting the KRK sub sometime this year just because I need to fill in where the RP5's can't go on the low end. but then again I do work with lots of things with very very low sub bass frequencies so for most types of music i imagine a sub might not be needed.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Monitors, Did you get a pair of Rokit's in the end? I'm using Rokit 5's. Very nice sound. Let us know what you chose and what you think. Rounik
  • Revo
    I'm looking into getting the M-Audio BX8a Deluxe's as they are a bit more competitively priced and have gotten nothing but rave reviews. Anyone had a chance to try them out?
  • AbbeyRhodes
    People often talk about getting better monitors and so on, but i see so many studios with very good monitors just incorrectly placed, too close to walls, turned on their side (you REALLY don't want to do that!) and so forth, that sometimes i think you can get better results by just getting a reasonable pair and taking time to learn how to place them and experiment with placement to adjust their response. The effect of having good monitors is so often negated by incorrect usage. Anything in that price range is going to be comparable and will sound excellent if you get the placement right.
  • Silk Wolf
    I completely agree. I've been amazed at the money some of these other studios spend on monitors to then just stick them 'anywhere they'll fit' or 'where ever they look good'.
  • Revo
    Agree 100% and that's why we need that tutorial on how to properly set up a studio! In the end you're still going to need a pair of monitors that generate an accurate sound though.
  • Rushton
    hey guys yeah i did end up getting a set of rokit 8s and a sub. i havent set the sub up properly (or the monitors for that matter) as i was getting too much reverberation with the sub so now im in the process of getting a proper set of stands and am going to make some bass traps. anyone made any before? im going to reorganise the room too as i dont have the monitors facing the back they go across as it was the most convenient but as i have read and found its really not the greatest idea
  • Revo
    A while back I came across a tutorial on the internet of how to make your own bass traps for really cheap. Search google for it because it really was a spectacular tutorial. Anyway, so how are the Rokits!? Give me some feedback (I don't plan on getting the sub quite yet due to $$ so I'm mainly interested in just the pair). How much did you get them for and do you feel that they are worth the money?
  • Rushton
    I am really happy with my krk's very nice sound for the price. I would recomend anyone to get a pair. If you are making dance music though the sub really is needed as when i went to play my song out i heard noises in the bass that i didnt hear at all on the krk's. Be warned though as like i said in my last post that u really need to set up your room properly or it will sound like arse.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: