macProVideo.com
Forums
  • benjamin
    MOTU 828 mk3 & Logic Pro 8
    Hello everybody, I have just brought a brand new MOTU 828 mk3. As I linked it with my MacBook Pro (running OS 10.4.11). I have downloaded the latest Firmware and driver for the mk3. I plugged my JV1080 to Analog Input 1-2, Virtuoso 2000 to Analog 5-6. In MOTU Audio Setup, I set the sample rate as 44.1KHz, Clock Source as Internal, Default Stereo Input as Mic 1-2, Defacult Sereo Output as Main Out 1-2, Phones as Main Out 1-2, Main Outs Assign as Main Outs, Return Assign as Analog 7-8. When I played my Logic Pro 8 project, I could ony hear the external Modules in Main L-R and Phones. The 'Analog Inputs' & 'Main' LED lit. But the 'Out 1-2' LED also lit. So I tried to play my iTunes songs, I could hear the music LOUDLY in Main L-R. Then I tried turned the Master Vol., it still was very loud even I turned to 'Master Mute'. I tried to lower the volume by taping fn-F4, but I could not change it. I could change the volume only by sliding the 'vol' slider in iTunes. Next, I plugged the Analog Output 1-2 to my stereo, when I played LP8 project, this time I could not hear the external modules but extremely LOUD volume of software instruments. Did I make any mistake in my setup? I am quite frustrated for it. Could any hero using MOTU intreface/ CueMix/Logic Pro 8 help me to solve the problem?? HELP!
  • Christian L
    Re: MOTU 828 mk3 & Logic Pro 8
    Hi, 1- Do you have the latest drivers installed ? 2- Is the MOTU 828 selected in Logic Pro > Audio > Core Audio > Device ? 3-How did you connected your MOTU, Monitors, etc. 4-Did you try with headphones ? 5-Did you try lowering the output in CueMix ? 6-Did you try lowering the Master Vol on 828 front panel ? It is perfectly normal that you are unable to change the volume by taping fn F4. This feature is not available when using an external audio interface. Christian
  • benjamin
    Christian, It's so nice to see your response. I installed the latest driver. I also selected 828 as my Core Audio Device. I connected 828 to monitors through Main Out with 2 XLR cables. I tried headphones, but I could not hear anything even though I set Headphone to Main Out. I also tried to lower the Master Vol on front panel but it did not work( I turned that knob to 'Master Mute'!!) How could I lower the output in CueMix?? Someone told me that there was something wrong about my routing. He told me (but he didn't know how to do it) to change the Output path in LP8 'cos the signal from my Mac was delivered to Analog Output 1-2 in 828. How should I change it to Main L-R? But when I played iTunes songs, the music went from Main Out. I am frustrated... Please save me from this disaster!
  • Christian L
    Hi, I don't have an mk3 to test and unfortunately the manuals are not available on MOTU's website. I'll try to find a pdf somewhere to help you more. Did you contact MOTU for support ?
  • Lou
    Some things to try; In the Logic 8 mixer select all your channel strips and change the output from 1-2 to 9-10. That should send Logic's output to your main outs. To control the volume of the main outs, in the output tab in cuemix, make sure that the "monitor" button for main outs is selected. Then you can turn down the monitor level from cuemix or the front panel. You might have to toggle selections between main outs and stereo also. Alternatively, leave your Logic outs as 1-2 and in Motu Audio Setup, for Main Outs select Analog 1-2. Select that outout pair's monitor button in the cuemix output tab instead of main outs. Both these work for me.
  • benjamin
    Hi, Lou, Thanks for your reply. I had solved that problem just like what you did. By the way, thanks again for everyone's reply.
  • Dj Protege
    Man Lou you help me with the same problem. Thanks!
  • Paul Annis
    Hello, is it me or is this issue with the 828mk3 defaulting to analog outputs 1-2 and not the default main out setting (as itunes/quicktime etc dose) really unacceptable. I mean, every loop/sample you drag into a project or every old project you open etc has to have the outputs changed. I like to work with 4 headphone buss's from within logic and it screws that up as well. Do you think this is a driver error in some way or a logic error? I tend to think driver or hardware as my old 828mk2 and 8 pre's are all fine. I have mailed MOTU so wait and see what they say but I bet the pass the buck. Shame as I think it's a really nice sounding unit with some nice features. Paul
  • Paul Annis
    Re: MOTU 828 mk3 & Logic Pro 8...
    Hello, well this is my reply from MOTU - Hi Paul, The issue that you are experiencing sounds like it would be a routing configuration within Logic. I believe that there is a way to change the preference in Logic to reassign the audition path, but it does default to Analog 1-2. I would contact Apple to get instructions on how to change this setting. So, is it possible? and if so how do we do it? Cheers Paul
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MOTU 828 mk3 & Logic Pro 8...
    Hi Paul, What does he mean by 'audition path'? Is he referring to Channel strip 256 in Mixer which is the Prelisten channel (when previewing Apple loops or samples, using Sample editor, etc)? The way I'd change my output for all tracks: 1. Setup a template with all channels set to Output xx. 2. With existing projects, open the Mixer, swipe across the bottom section of the channel strips to select all channels (except the outputs). Now change the Output on one highlighted channel strip and all other highlighted ones will route to the same output accordingly. btw, have you looked in the Audio MIDI Setup to see which output of the Motu is selected by default? Thanks ROunik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: