macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bj
    Re: Omnisphere released!
    Hi Rounik, My iMac is a slightly older 2.16GHz, that can only be upped to 3 gig max... I checked when I bought it... Such is life... But Matched Pairs on All Other Models is imperative and the way to go... Thanks for your concern, : ) Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bj, I've got the same mac too here which i was using until recently - but my partner uses it. Did you always have 3GB in it? The reason I ask is we still have 2GB ram in ours and I wonder if you've noticed any performance increase from 2GB to 3GB? Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Rounik, Yes I've always had 3 gig in mine. 2 gig in the first slot and 1 gig in the second. Using Activity Monitor, System Memory, when in Logic, the average usage seems to be around 2.3 to 2.6 gig of RAM, with Virtual Memory between 5.something and 7 gig. If you can afford to go to 3 gig I'm sure you would notice an improvement, even if was only a subtle one... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Bj! I'll bear it in mind - especially as that mac has become our video editing suite machine. :-) Rounik
  • Bj
    My Pleasure... Bj : )
  • Futant Mutant
    i upgraded my macbook pro RAM a few months ago to 4gb and it has made a huge difference working with logic and final cut pro. i saved loads of money by getting 2x 2gb RAM by kingston (they do a special macbook RAM and it works just the same as the apple stuff). Just can't wait to try omnisphere on it once I get new hard drive. Apparently it's the L2 cache size being 4mb on the macbook pro compared to 512kb on my g5 powermac that makes a big part of the difference between the two machines, especially for omnisphere and logic... is that right, is it the L2 cache that makes up for most of the difference?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Frutant, Thanks! I also use www.crucial.com for ram. Always worked really well. I know that L2 cache can make a big difference as i believe it's to do with the amount of info that can be transfered? So, from my limited understanding, smaller L2 cache can lead to bottlenecks of info or smaller packets being able to be communicated. I didn't' realise that G5's had significantly smaller L2 caches than MBP's. Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Hi Frutant, Rounik is spot on... The bigger the L2 cache and the more RAM you have, helps everything move around more smoothly... : ) Cheers, Bj
  • SJKukla
    Hmm, at such good prices, especially for Mac Intel users of Atmosphere, I'm kind of an idiot for not buying this yet, aren't I? I've been frothing at the mouth (not really) for a while; ever since I saw/heard the "light-bulb" sound. Question: Can you run your own waveforms through the STEAM engine? Steve K
  • Bj
    Hi Steve, Just loaded a Grand Piano (EXS) in Logic and recorded a few bars. In a new track opened Omnisphere and selected a piano, copied the original piano region to the Omnisphere track and it played... Does this answer your question? Cheers, Bj
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: