macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Best Controllers for Logic or any DAW
    What's everyone's experience for hardware controllers of Logic/Cubase/Pro Tools/Live. I've been looking at a few of the more budget options available recently, e.g. Evolution UC-33E, Alpha track and PreSonus FaderPort. I'm not specifically looking to buy right now, but I thought it would be nice to get your opinions, reviews on hardware controllers you're currently using. I'm also interested in whether you feel that these hardware controllers have helped speed up your workflow and/or changed the way you produce or create at home or in the studio. All & any experiences & comments welcome :-)
  • SJKukla
    Re: Best Controllers for Logic or any DAW
    Hi, My UC33 just came in about a week ago, and it's everything I wanted. The knobs are big and easily turnable, the throw on the faders is nice and long, and the action isn't too free, either. It's well-lit with plenty of helpful leds, it has decent documentation for programming, although sometimes I have to read between the lines: (They show you how to program a fader to a CC value, but they show you in the context of a particular program, for example. So, you just ignore all of the irrelevant information about Reason, etc, and take what you need) Lastly, one of the coolest things about the UC33 is its surprising size. For all of its larger knobs, faders and programmable buttons, the unit is surprisingly SMALL, and fits wonderfully on my desk in a relatively tight space. Hope this is helpful! Steve K
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Steve, you're really selling it to me ;-) Does it have any transport controls on it? I should mention for the thread that I have been using an M-audio Oxygen 8 v.1 for about 5 years. Nothing fancy... 8 assignable knobs, one fader, mod and pitch wheels and 25 keys... but has worked seamlessly without a hitch. I've been an all in one keyboard and controller, but am interested to know if any one ever goes back to mixing / automating with the mouse once you have hardware faders...? Cheers Rounik
  • SJKukla
    Hi Rounik, Yup, it sure does have them. For me, now that I've actually made the jump to a control surface, (I've got an older M-Audio Keystation 61es), I don't imagine I'll be doing a lot of editing with the mouse. The trick now is to figure out how to rig my third party plugins like VSL SE and such to work in more efficient ways with the controller. (Example: personally, I think it'd be cool to map keyswitches to the UC33's buttons. Then I'd have my volume, modulation and whatever else alongside my keyswitches, instead of having to use both the faders and the buttons...) Hope this helps :) Steve K
  • 7up
    I bought one of the Mackie Universal controls a few years ago and it's the best contoller I've ever used. It's about $800 but it has all the features you could ever want. 100 mm motorized faders that you find on the big Mackie SSL boards. Even the plugins parameters can be controlled with it easily! I also use it with reason and ableton live. You can use it with any DAW. It's a little more money but because the faders are motorized when u switch from the 1st 8 faders to the next group the faders all move. So it's easier when you working on a song with more than 8 tracks. It also has full transport controls and jog shuttle wheel. [url]http://www.mackie.com/products/mcupro/index.html[/url] Best Wishes, 7up
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:14650]when u switch from the 1st 8 faders to the next group the faders all move. [/quote] Hi 7up, thanks! The motorized faders sound very cool! I've seen a few Mackie's around. Very nice. :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: