macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Dekuruy
    Blue mics and iPad
    Hi all, Does anyone have any info about the Blue Yeti microphone and iPad. The developers of the 'improvox' iPad app [url]http://www.museami.com/?page=home[/url] recommend using this mic in conjuction with their app. I've heard good things about the mic, and the app is pretty cool, but, while the Blue Yeti worked fine with the iPad running iOS 3.2.2, it supposedly no longer works in iOS 4.2. (It's a power supply issue with iOS 4.2 and the iPad's dock connector). Has anyone experienced this, or have a possible work around (short of downgrading the iPads iOS)? Using a powered hub supposedly doesn't do the trick, although what I've read about that is a little ambiguous. Any other USB mics, or USB to XLR adapters that would work with iPad? Also, are the Blue mic company and Apple having any issues with each other? When I sent an email to Blue mic tech support, it took them a while to get back to me, and when they did, there response was on the kurt side - maybe it was just a tech person with an overload of work, but his answer to my questions were 'No and No.' - that was his entire response. Just curious. Thanks to anyone who can give me any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Blue mics and iPad
    Hi Adam, I also heard the same news (iOS 4.2 and Blue Yeti mics weren't working so well) - albeit when iOS 4.2 was released. Would be very interesting to know the current situation too! :) R
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik, Yeah, I would just try it out myself, but the Blue Yeti is a little pricey for that. I came across this in my searches, though: [url]http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic/features/[/url] there's a free app for it that has some effects and such. Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Well... How this slipped my mind I have no idea!! Especially considering I was talking about the iRig Mic with SteveH and others last week. Reports are pretty impressive btw... Might be a blog post on this in the future... :) Rounik
  • Dekuruy
    Hi Rounik, There's so much new stuff out there, and/or on the way, especially right after NAMM, and certainly concerning the iPad, it's totally understandable that something like this would slip your mind! We'll be needing an entire database just to keep up with it all pretty soon. A blog post on the iRig Mic sounds like a good idea. I received an email this morning from Sweatwater, which is where I ordered mine from, telling me that it was backordered and wouldn't be available 'till late March! Actually, I'm not sure if that means that the product isn't coming out 'till then, or they've started shipping but are already out of stock. Was there any info from NAMM about a release date on that? If there's a way for me to get one sooner, please let me know. So far, that's the only way I've found to get vocals into the iPad for processing by any of the apps that do vocal processing of any kind - short of using the built in mic or headset/mic combinations - both inferior for live sound, as far as my experience tells me. You know this type of thing would be a big hit with my students! Here's a video on it that IK Multimedia put out. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LGAyE79nQA[/url] Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Adam, Yup... there's a LOT of Blog tutorials, articles, interviews and reviews... and even more good things coming :) The iRig Mic isn't yet available at my local Pro Music Store... but then it's pretty common for products to become available in the UK after the US. All the reports I've heard from those who've used it are very positive. I can imagine using it for video interviews with my iPhone 4... rather than taking my portable recorder along and syncing the audio to the video in post... hmmm - the mind boggles with the possibilities :) Best R
  • Dekuruy
    If you want to do something like that, some of the products on this page may be helpful. [url]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_7_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mikey+microphone&sprefix=mikey+microphone[/url] Oh, and yes, the blogs section of MPV is getting better and better. Lots of rich, varied, informative material! Take care, Adam
  • Rounik Admin
    Cool. Thanks Adam! :)
  • Nick T79
    I just bought the Blue Yeti Pro and the iPad camera connector thinking it would work...it doesn't. I've read that the Yeti (non-pro) works with the camera connector but the Pro will not; requires to much power. The more I think, the more I realize I probably wouldn't ever use the iPad to record anything professionally so its no big deal, for me. The guy at the Apple store said that a few things have been able to "slip thru the cracks" as far as connecting with the camera connector.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Nick Welcome to the forums and thanks for the feedback on this! Do you know which mics (other than the non-Pro Yeti) and audio interfaces will work with an iPad? Thanks R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: