macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    New Macbooks & Macbook Pro's
    The latest and greatest Macbook's and Macbook Pro's are now out... The new Macbook seems very nice, all aluminum like the MBP... [url]http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/[/url] I suspect the faster graphics may make it a viable option for using graphics intensive app's like Motion (but I'm not sure about this...) but, it lacks a firewire port!! So, anyone hoping to use pro audio and video equipment to capture audio or video using firewire needs to look at the macbook pro! The Macbook pro, again, looks lovely [url]http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/[/url] and the updates seem good. Gone is the firewire 400 port in favour of one firewire 800 port and there is no option for a matte display as the display is now made of glass, much like the iMac methinks... I should point out the white Macbook is still being offered by Apple at a lower price point of $999 or £719. I mention this as despite not incorporating the better graphics and LED screen and track pad and HD and mard disk space (phew!) it does have a Firewire400 socket :-) So, what do you think of these updates? Is anyone interested in getting one of the new MB's or MBP's? Rounik
  • yamahadrums
    Re: New Macbooks & Macbook Pro's
    Again this glossy display! And the lack of FW port on 13" macbook is really annoying. Otherwise it's cute.
  • Rounik Admin
    Yes, the graphics update will do wonders for the macbook... but no firewire 400 means DJ's and musicians will be using MBP's instead if a decent audio interface is needed. I'm wondering what graphic designers make of the glossy only displays on the new MBP? I like most of the design though :-D
  • Christian L
    Thanks Rounik for the news! :-) IMHO, no Firewire 400 on the MBP is a very bad idea. And no firewire port on the MB is even worse... at least from a musician's point of view. How can we boot in target mode without a FW port ? How can we connect our audio interface ? How can we import footage in iMovie ? And from what I saw, it looks just like a PC. It's a big deception for me... :-(
  • Bj
    Hi Guys, Here's a list of Ins & Outs for the new MBP 15"... MagSafe power port Gigabit Ethernet port One FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps) Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps) Mini DisplayPort Audio line in Audio line out ExpressCard/34 slot Kensington lock slot It's a shame there's no Firewire port on the new MB, was there one on the old model? Cheers, Bj
  • Bj
    Went to the Apple Support Site and got the Tech Specs for the White MB and it has a 400 Firewire port... still surprised there's none on the new MB. Might keep my eyes open for a 'Bargain Price' on a White MB at the Apple Store over the next couple of weeks... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi guys, Bj, yes even 4 year old iBook's (and perhaps earlier models too) had a firewire 400. Firewire has always been championed by Apple, so the exclusion of it on the macbook is strange. The entry level (white macbook - still available) has a firewire 400... but no Nvidia graphics update, or new touchpad, etc... For the macbook pro, there is the possibility of using an adapter through the ExpressCard3/4 slot to give you firewire and/or i think you can use a fw800 to 400 cable? Some audio interfaces might be happy being daisy chained or using a hub? But it seems the only way to connect a decent audio interface to a mac laptop is to buy a MBP! As for video... well Pro equipment (anything using firewire, presumably) will only interface with MBP's too. Perhaps we're being pushed towards using hard disk and flash memory camcorders? Apple needs to differentiate between the macbook and pro model somehow: screen size, FW800 and ExpressCard. Anyway, if anyone is interested, you can give feedback to Apple here: [url]http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • Bj
    Thanks Rounik, the usual comprehensive reply... : ) I popped over to the Apple Feedback Link (ta) and registered my surprise and disappointment... if enough people comment it could reappear on a future model... but I'm not holding my breath... Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bj ;-) I would be very happy if/when Apple reinstate Firewire400 on Macbooks. I am hopeful once quad core mobile processors come out sometime in 2009 that macbooks will sport a dual core processor with firewire and MBP's will get the quad core and that will be enough to differentiate them as the consumer and Pro models... Sorry I missed your earlier post. Good luck in finding a cheap/refurbished macbook! Take care, Rounik
  • Bj
    [quote:7638]Hi Bj ;-) "I am hopeful once quad core mobile processors come out sometime in 2009 that macbooks will sport a dual core processor with firewire and MBP's will get the quad core and that will be enough to differentiate them as the consumer and Pro models..."[/quote] That would be nice... cool idea... Add Snow Leopard utilising all the cores... Ahh the future looks bright... Bj : )
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: