macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Stevesaxman
    Recording solo violin
    Hey gang, I am recording a solo violinist for an audition he is doing. I will be using Logic, but my question is with regards to mic technique. I have a two AKG perception 220 condensor mics, a couple of 57's and a 58 and a shotgun mic (ah, the ever increasing mic locker:-)). Does anyone have any recommendations for how to mic the vioinist? Should I do a stereo image, a single mic, how close should I place mics, etc? Any feedback would be appreciated. The session isn't until early March so I have plenty of time. Thanks to all, I love this forum! Cheers, Steve
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Recording solo violin
    I wouldn't suggest stereo on the violin itself. It can potentially be distracting to the listener if the sound source moves around in the stereo field because the performer moves around. It can also result in phase cancellation if he/she ends up moving to just the wrong point between the mics as they move (Murphy's Law). If you have an acoustically pleasant space to record in, mic the violinist in mono and use a stereo pair to capture the room. Barring having a good room, place the mic -- whichever one you decide on (try them all!) -- and go for capturing a musically pleasant sound thats nice and listenable rather than a close-mic'd sound that might result in too much bow scratch or other instrument noises. Then use a reverb plug to add ambience. In terms of mic placement, it all depends on the nature of the piece(s) and the quality of the space that will determine how to set up the mics. For example, you might need to move the instrument mic a little closer in for a quiet intimate piece to capture a little more detail than you would for a louder, busy piece. HTH, Ski
  • Stevesaxman
    That all sounds like great advice. Thanks for the prompt reply, Ski. I'll let you know how it all works out!! Cheers, Steve
  • Zihymua
    You do not really have the choice, first you need 2 mono track for record, first track you instal your best mic overhead between 2 or 3 feet target on the center of your violin, the second track you installed a CDucer mic, if you never tried this type of mic you will be amaze with the sound it give and when you properly mix the volume of your 2 audio track you gonna say WOW Best regards AlRobi
  • Peter Schwartz
    I'm not sure it's accurate to say that Steve has no choice. There are so many microphones and so many different possible techniques that any one good practical suggestion is going to be as good as the next. And ultimately, the type of mic, the sound of the instrument, the type of music being performed, and the acoustics of the room will determine what the best sounds is for this particular project. BTW, I just looked up this mic on the 'Net and it certainly looks interesting. But I can imagine that some performers may not want to tape a mic to their instrument (as in the diagram on their website).
  • Zihymua
    Hi Ski, sometime what i tried to explain it is not exactly what i want to tell, because i am French speaking and i tried my best, with your answer i feel you dont even no the existence of these type of mic, the day you will tried a good one let say on a guitar you will never come back to just regular mic, you have to tried to it one day and you see by yourself. Me i am in Country music so Violin Acoustic guitar, Dobro are part of my life everyday in the studio, that is sure you can record other way but we tried in MacProVideo to give the best way to do something for our friend who ask help. PS For me Rounik and Christian over the year give so much to help with my own problem
  • Peter Schwartz
    Saying "you have no choice" in English suggests that there is only one way to do things to get a good result, and that's rarely the case in music (as I'm sure you know) :-) Since you use this a lot for violin, I'm curious to know how you attach it to the instrument. With tape? Or is there some other way to mount it?
  • Zihymua
    The way we stick the mic to the body, it is a thin silicon sheet who after you finish dont leave any residu and do not modify in anyway the finish of the instrument you glue the mic on. Make you a gift tried it once and perhaps you will become addict on the quality of this type of recording
  • Rounik Admin
    This is very interesting! Thanks Ski and AlRobi :) BTW, *coughs and clears throat*... I'd like to take this opportunity to welcome Ski as our new Forum Moderator!! We're really excited and honored to have you onboard Ski :)
  • Peter Schwartz
    Thanks Rounik! But I don't know if you realize what you guys have gotten yourselves into... because the first thing I'm going to do (cue beauty pageant music) is hit you guys up for a tiara!!! All kidding aside, it's an honor for me to be here and I appreciate the opportunity to contribute both to the forum and the MPV blogs. Cheers! Ski
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: