macProVideo.com
Forums
  • DaveRobinson
    Thank You All
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to say Thank you for the great help you provide. I don't subscribe for the movies but i'm building quite a collection that i've purchased as apps for os x and iPad. To date i'm up to two for os x and nine for the iPad and plan to slowly keep collecting. The iPad is great for watching the tutorials as i follow along in Logic. The tutorials on the site are also awesome. Thanks Again! Cheers! Dave.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Thank You All
    Hi Dave, Welcome to the MPV Forums & thanks for the kind words! We're thrilled to know you're enjoying the tutorials. In case you didn't know, if you buy download tutorials from our site here you can also watch them on your Mac, iPhone and iPad - both as a download and streaming it over your internet connection. Just don't want to see you duplicating purchases for iPad and Mac ;-) Hope you're enjoying The Hub (free Online Mag) too: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/[/url] Best, Rounik
  • DaveRobinson
    Hi Rounik, Thanks for the welcome and link i'm sure i'll be spending a great deal of time there. I did double up on two videos 201 LogicMaserClass1 and 304 Logic-TNT3-Reloaded so i could compare the viewing choices. The iPad is the way that suits my workflow at the minute. Upgraded my MacBook Pro to 8GB Memory today. Weird waiting it to start up for the first time. All seems well. Logic Pro 9.1.5 - MacBookPro 5,2 17 inch - 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 - OS 10.7.1 - 8 GB Ram - Apogee Duet (Lion driver updated yesterday) Cheers! Dave.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Dave, Yes, I love the iPad as a way to watch and learn MPV tuts. Really great. As you've got the Logic 304, I suspect you've discovered the videos on TouchOSC and other ways Steve H uses the iPad to control Logic... Awesome stuff. Enjoy your newly maxed out MBP. If it continues taking a long time to boot up then check that the ram has been recognized by: - click on the Apple menu (top left) - Choose "About this Mac". It should display Memory - 8 GB Cheers R
  • DaveRobinson
    Hi Rounik, Ain't got that far in the video yet, there just seems so much to learn. I totally agree the material in all the videos is awesome. You gotta luv learning ;-) The mac is running beautiful (18 months on mac). Before the mac i spent 15 years using linux, in fact i still have a pc dual booting win7 and Debian (linux) though its not used much these days. My fault for the confusion but the mac is booting fine, Weird was more to do with my feelings as this is the first time i've opened up the Mac to do anything inside. As it is its working great, i can see the difference in all aspects of my workflow. Lion is running great here. Gonna try and add a pic of my workstation. It's at kneeling level and i kneel on a dojo mat to keep my posture correct. Oops can't see how to add picture? [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiza[/url] Have a good weekend! Cheers! Dave.
  • DaveRobinson
    [img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5894/mbpstudio800px.jpg[/img]
  • Rounik Admin
    Sweet! Are they KRK 6's? What stands are you using? You know I think a Dojo mat is a great idea... I quite like those kneeling stools... and been thinking about going that route.
  • DaveRobinson
    Hi Rounik, hope you had a good weekend. They are krk8s on quiklok Zblack stands (sound great). Kneeling is good but it's not for everyone, many find it difficult to get comfortable and it can be distracting until you've practiced for a while. Once you are practiced it actually is great and keeps your legs/spine in good condition (training without training). Good posture is vital and i recommend a posture chair like the one's in the link below. Bad mouse position and use will also give problems and thin cheap guitar straps (heavy guitars) digging into the side of the neck and pressing on D6 in your back will give a set of problems many guitarists have. No good developing a good musical mind if your body gives you pain as you age. Spent Sunday watching and listening to your Advanced Snow Leopard video, "Great" i'll keep an eye open for any more you make. I'd like to have a video explaining AutoMap with the SL MkII keyboard, i'm new to keyboard playing but am convinced it's the way to interface with Logic. 2do: Checkout Midi Demystified video. Looks amazing! Cheers! Dave. [url]http://www.backinaction.co.uk/kneeling[/url]
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks Dave, Yes... I love the posture kneeling chairs... spent many years of my life with them. I think we should do a mini-tutorial on studio ergonomics and/or computer ergonomics - or maybe a Hub article, hmmm... Glad to know you liked the Advanced SL tut! You'll see some cameo's of mine in the Logic TNT2 and Logic TNT3 as well. Ha! Peter Schwartz's MIDI 101 is possibly one of the funniest, yet educational, tutorials I've had the pleasure to watch. I hop you enjoy it! :)
  • DaveRobinson
    Hi Rounik, Yes! "a mini-tutorial on studio ergonomics and/or computer ergonomics" would be very good. I see people in my clinic with serious conditions brought about by poor postural awareness. The computer is addictive and users don't take regular breaks (eye strain included). Guitar straps give serious issues and i can't think of a worse scenario than having the mind of Django/Zappa and not be able to play anymore because of pain. All that learning and practice in vain. Loved the command line work in your video. Bit of a command line junkie here! I use the command below to show the 50 largest files in my home directory and create a text file for future grep ing (great fun). Pointing it at my wav files folder keeps a check on my big audio files. Takes a minute or two to run. find . -type f -exec ls -s {} ; | sort -n -r | head -50 | cat -n | tee ~/bigfile50.txt find ~/ -name "*.wav" >>wav-files.txt cat wav-files.txt is also another of my favourites. The terminal is one way i find stops me chasing the mouse pointer around all day and is certainly a chilling way to work. I've watched the midi demystified preview and it's the next video i'm going to buy. Thanks for your time/help. Cheers! Dave.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: