macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    hard drive
    hey guys. ive just taken the 500gb sata hard drive out of my pc and put it in a external reader to run with my mac, unsurprisingly it didnt work. but im getting rid of the pc now so will be needing to access all my music from my mac, how do i go about doing this. what for of hardrive will i need that i can transfer all the files of the sata onto, to be able to be used via osx? thank guys
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: hard drive
    Do you know what format you PC hard drive was formatted as? Your Mac should be able to read the drive even if it is formatted at NTFS. What PC operating system was installed on the PC hard drive? What external reader are you using? Is it an external hard drive enclosure? And what is it using? USB? If you can maybe try using another external hard drive enclosure and see if that works.
  • drusif
    it was formated as Ntfs. ive backed it up, deleted it and reformated as fat32, its only gonna be keeping music files and the odd film on so nothing over 4gb. but i did want to be able to use it between mac and pc so think this was the best option for me. the external reader is a star tech one that says comptable with pc and mac and uses usb 2.0, dont really want to have to buy another cause ive just bought this one. hopefully should be fine now ive re formated. all i have to do now is sort out my itunes on it, i want 2 different librarys. one for my dj tunes and 1 for my albums and other stuff
  • GaryHiebner
    FAT32 is perfect to use between Mac and PC. Both the Mac and PC can read and write to FAT32 disks.
  • drusif
    so, i just bought a 1tb seagate portable hardrive, its pretty cool. and i wanted to start of by doing a time machine backup, i started the process then cancelled cause i realised i wanted to partion the drive first, 750gb mac journalised 250gb dos fat 32 so i can use files on pc as well. as i cancelled the time machine back up i cant seem to get it going again, if i click on it it just shows me the drives now? how do i start the back up again? also as the drive is partioned now do i have to eject both volumes everytime i take it out?
  • GaryHiebner
    Go to System Preferences, then Time Machine. Choose Select Backup Disk, and choose your Time Machine partition on your Hard Drive. Normally when you eject one partition it will ask you if you wish to eject all prtitions.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: