macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Furuviu
    Recording drums tutorial - a mistake?
    I've just had a look at the preview for the tutorials on recording drums. All look pretty good as per usual for this place. I have to question, however, the Decca Tree tutorial. That doesn't look like any Decca Tree I have ever come across! The Decca Tree is usually a three mic arrangement for stereo recording. It is highly favoured by engineers recording large ensembles such as choir or orchestra - though by no means limited to this application. The decca tree has also seen some adaptation particularly in the areas of surround sound recording where extra microphones can be added to pick up rear and side information. I'm sure mic technique you describe is a perfectly reasonable way to go about recording a kit with three mics, but a Decca Tree it is not. The only relation I can see to a Decca Tree is the number of mics used but thats about it.
    Recording drums tutorial - a mistake?
    I've just had a look at the preview for the tutorials on recording drums. All look pretty good as per usual for this place. I have to question, however, the Decca Tree tutorial. That doesn't look like any Decca Tree I have ever come across! The Decca Tree is usually a three mic arrangement for stereo recording. It is highly favoured by engineers recording large ensembles such as choir or orchestra - though by no means limited to this application. The decca tree has also seen some adaptation particularly in the areas of surround sound recording where extra microphones can be added to pick up rear and side information. I'm sure mic technique you describe is a perfectly reasonable way to go about recording a kit with three mics, but a Decca Tree it is not. The only relation I can see to a Decca Tree is the number of mics used but thats about it.
  • Dazogea
    Re: Recording drums tutorial - a mistake?
  • Dazogea
    Hi Drumhum, Thanks for your comment. I'm Nick from Singing Canary and I produce all the Art of Audio Recordin tutorials. In answer to your complaint: Technically you are 100% correct. As you know, to the letter of the law a decca tree : was originally used in orchestral situations, fitted on a tall boom and suspended high up in the air, roughly above the conductor. Three separate stands were sometimes used to set individual heights. A Decca Tree setup includes 3 omnidirectional microphones in a "T" pattern. The stem of the T faces the orchestra, and the left and right mics are placed about 6 feet apart. The third is placed 3 feet out and centered in front. To mix, the side mics are panned hard left and right, and the output of the centre mic is then sent to both left and right channels. The level of the centre mic is set sufficient to fill in the centre "hole" left by the widely spaced outer mics, but is not so high as to cause an overall mono sound to the recording! We discussed this when filming. We had reservations when titling the film, whether to name it as such. Greg Haver the producer had an engineer friend who was at Decca in the 60's and the inside view from there, was that there were no hard rules other than 3 omnis in a triangle! Apparently, the engineers enjoyed the precision debates outside the studio as inside, it was very relaxed and organic, based on the sound. Over the years, some engineers take the view that a 3 mic omni set up in a triangle can be called a decca tree. We argued the toss and thought about calling it Decca Tree Variation or even Greg's Decca Tree but in the end, we were happy that it could run. However, you are right, and we are wrong! We will rename it and will do so today to Decca Tree Variation. I hope this hasn't ruined your enjoyment of our tutorials. Thanks again for your feedback.
  • GaryHiebner
    Thanks for the feedback Nick.
  • Furuviu
    Thanks for the reply Nick, I felt a little apprehensive after I posted my query. I wondered if a public forum was the best place to air my observation. I didn't intend to demean your tutorials in any way. From what I've seen they are excellent stuff. Where was the tutorial recorded? It looks a lovely place. best regards Tom
    Thanks for the reply Nick, I felt a little apprehensive after I posted my query. I wondered if a public forum was the best place to air my observation. I didn't intend to demean your tutorials in any way. From what I've seen they are excellent stuff. Where was the tutorial recorded? It looks a lovely place. best regards Tom
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: