macProVideo.com
Forums
  • AbbeyRhodes
    Web Design for creative professionals
    I just completed the email survey and suggested this, but thought i'd post here and see if anyone else was interested which might help to get the ball rolling. I would really like to see a training video which looks at web design beyond WYSIWYG editors like iWeb or Dreamweaver, for the independent creative professional. I currently use iWeb to design and update the website for my business. Rather than employ a web designer i prefer to be in charge of the website personally so that i can upload or change information and details immediately and as it becomes available. However i find iWeb to be a little cumbersome - the site is very slow to load. It doesn't optimise images and a manual peruse of the code reveals a very inefficient design. I've taught myself the basics of HTML and CSS using the available free online resources, and the iWeb code uses inline style sheet settings attached to every single object which gets very inefficient and convoluted once you have a few objects on the page. I've heard that Dreamweaver suffers from similar faults. I'm wondering if there's scope for a macprovideo tutorial (or two) which looks at web design, teaching html, css, and even more advanced codes like xml/php. Now the idea is to create an efficient, stylish and functional web site for an independent professional artist, musician or producer, without going into the massive amount of detail that a full blown web design course would go into. It shouldn't replace a diploma in web design, but be intended for use by small business owners who just need a good, functional and stylish website and also want to know how to code it well. Perhaps using some popular web coding software like Coda, Textmate, CSSEdit, or the new Espresso text editor. The trainer could even suggest which editors he/she finds to be the best for each purpose and do the training using those programs. Perhaps even using iWeb to do the mockup design at the start, and then manually coding the site from ground up for speed and efficiency. I realise this is probably my longest post so far, but i want to get this idea out to see if anyone else here is interested. As a business owner my website is very important, but i'm still using my iWeb site because i can't get my HTML website to look quite as nice and i know there are probably a few holes in my knowledge as its all based on multitude of free basic lessons scattered around the net. I'm really curious to see what Martin and the MPV trainers think, and also if anyone else is in a similar position to me having outgrown iWeb/Dreamweaver and in need of this sort of training.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: