macProVideo.com
Forums
  • skipstream
    MIDI Orchestration
    May I suggest a 5 hour set of tutorials on MIDI orchestration? How best to layer strings How best to produce great violins by using different articulations Orchestration mechanics/settings Effects What goes together well How instruments are usually used (eg octaves, call/answer etc etc) How to use brass correctly The list is endless I have the fanstastic book on MIDI Orchestration by Paul Gilreath but I would LOVE to see his techniques and knowledge shown in Logic or whatever using say VSL and/or EWQL etc There are so many complex elements to midi orchestration it could be a mammoth set of tutorials but I think it would sell well for you. I for one would pay $100+ for the download version without hesitation The more I think about it the more I would love to see something like this covering all aspects. Thanks
  • VanDyck
    Re: MIDI Orchestration
    Here's another voice asking for a MIDI orchestration tutorial. The Gilreath book as well as "Acoustic and MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer" by Pejrolo and Derosa are excellent resources. I'm very much at home using MIDI in Logic but would like to see a tutorial of a pro working through an orchestral MIDI mock-up or original composition. Perhaps, in order to reach a wider audience, the tutorial could be a demonstration of MIDI orchestration that could be applied to any major DAW. Cubase 6 is my alternative DAW.
  • skipstream
    I agree - I too have that book and I have learnt a LOT - but I also have books on Logic Pro and other areas but to see it being "done" by a Pro on a video is another thing entirely. My DAW is Logic Pro but it's irrelevant to me which DAW is used. It's the template building and how to do crescendos etc etc that matter - this applies to any DAW
  • Peter Schwartz
    Just a word on templates... they're great if you've already decided on a palette of sounds for a particular project. But templates can also waste a lot of your time loading up samples that may not be the right ones for the kind of music you're writing. And of course, this assumes that you have more than just one sample library. I do a lot of orchestrations, but I never use a template to start. Maybe the reason I can do this is because over many years I've learned the sound of the individual instruments in my collection of libraries, so I know which ones to go for. I only form a template when I'm working on a project (say, a movie score) and once I've selected (one by one) the majority of the sounds I think I'll need, I make a template from that. But it's always subject to change. Just some food for thought... =Ski=
  • skipstream
    Yes I agree in regards to templates. However, I am very knew to midi orchestration and while I have always had a musical ear so to speak I find it tough to know how to get that great realistic violin lead for example - brass seems easier! Take EWQL samples for example - there maybe 20+ articulations and knowing how best to use them within a DAW for a lead part would be great to see on video. I think I could listen to a lead in a score and then try and replicate using multiple articulations for the same melody but seeing how someone else does it would be great its like some of the other tutorials on this site - eg Confessions of a Drum & Bass.... watching a pro at work is both informative and inspiring
  • Peter Schwartz
    Knowing which articulations to use starts with a knowledge of what the various instruments are capable of playing, and the names given to those articulations. Of course you could learn them by ear, but knowing what they're called, as well as familiarizing yourself with what real players play, in all manner of styles and tempi, is really important. For example, let's take string four articulation names: marcato detache spiccato staccato All of these are considered short bow strokes. However, in some libraries, "marcato" sounds sustain but their attack characteristic is marcato. You'll find the same situation with samples called "detache"; in some libraries the length of detache samples can vary greatly. These kinds of variations exist because there is no singular way for a player to perform them, and the length of any particular short bow stroke is going to change with the tempo, which brings me to spiccato and staccato... At a fast tempo, a spiccato sample is likely going to sound better, less sluggish, than a staccato sample even though an orchestrator would write the part as staccato. At a slower tempo, staccato notes might be best played with detache or marcato samples (provided they don't sustain too long). So one of the best things I can suggest is that you get a book or two on orchestration and learn the names of the different articulations. Samuel Adler's "The Study of Orchestration" is great as is the Blatter book on orchestration.
  • Maggie
    I would be very interested, and gladly willing to pay for the opportunity to watch a midi pro's construction techniques in almost any genre (but especially orchestra)
  • Matthew L Fisher
    Yeah!!!! A tutorial on creating orchestral templates, mixing, system set up, and a more in depth look at scoring to picture etc... would be so awesome. I asked for this almost a year ago and nothing has been made for this. Please!! Sam is right, there is literally nothing on this topic ANYWHERE! I have Searched the internet for hundreds of hours and have never found that type of valuable information. Please make this happen!! You guys would rock!
  • mark
    +1
  • Kufoduy
    Would love to see something for the ewql stuff, like hollywood strings, hw brass, hw woodwonds, choirs, spaces
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: