macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    Suggestion for FCP X Hub article
    Hey Ben, Iain, Michael and all the FCP tutors... Can someone pleas emake a hub article showing thew workflow for making a music video? i.e. starting with an audio file and adding/editing images afterwards. This is my primary use for FCP - I've watched a lot of Michael's tutorials, and they are fantastic but he doesn't specifically talk about starting with an audio file and adding footage afterwards. for example I'm getting confused about the project properties - FCP makes some weird suggestions for frame rate etc when the first clip is audio only. And if I use a placeholder as the first clip FCP's suggested default for audio is 48k, but the audio file is 44.1k... Thanks very much, if you don't think a Hub article is appropriate, can you just tell me how to set up the project properties correctly? Cheers Hamish
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Suggestion for FCP X Hub article
    Excellent suggestion Hamish. Will look into this.
  • Hamish H
    Great! Looking forward to it H
  • BenB
    Basically, all the music video makers I'm seeing with FCP X have different workflows they all personally like. Be sure your master audio file is 48kHz, 16-bit. You can lay that to the Primary Storyline, and attach any sound effects and video as connected clips. Some even make each lane of video a secondary storyline so they get the magnetic behaviors. Some folks prefer placing a Gap Clip in the primary storyline, set the duration to match the song audio file, then connected everything to that. Or set the gap clip and do Overwrite Edits to it (D key). Many ways to skin that cat. But a survey of folks making music videos with FCP X would be really interesting to see all the different ways they're doing it. But there isn't one standard way to edit a music video, really. At least FCP X lets you get really creative about how you approach it. That much is very exciting.
  • Hamish H
    Re: Re: Suggestion for FCP X Hub article
    Yes indeed! I'm loving FCPX. [quote=BenB]Be sure your master audio file is 48kHz, 16-bit.[/quote] But this is the part I just don't get yet... none of my tracks are ever going to be 48kHz. I understand that 48kHz is the ideal for when the goal is to score soundtrack music for TV or film. I'm making music for release digitally and potentially on CD. All the tracks contain third party samples. Everything, from samples to project settings to final master is 44.1 kHz. And if I don't release it on CD, it'll be 24 bit. So my question is, how do I use FCP X in an audio-centric way, not film-centric? I know FCP X can handle 44.1kHz audio because I've tried it out, and it also of course accepts anything that you've got in itunes; AAC, MP3 etc regardless of source sample rate. What I don't know is what clip properties to set for the project. I'm also really interested in sending clips from FCP to Motion to add effects, then bringing them back in. I think Michael Wohl covers that in his Motion tutorials. Thanks for the help! i will be asking many more questions I'm sure Cheers Hamish
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: