macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Lomilye
    Apple & Adobe Pro Certification!
    I'd like to see courses geared specifically towards preparing us for Apple & Adobe pro certifications. Considering Martin wrote the book for Apple's Logic Pro 7 training, you guys would be perfectly suited to offer this for Apple's pro apps. It would even be great if it could be set up like an online college course. Maybe have it broken into 8 or 12 weeks, with assignments due each week, grades given out, quizzes on the subject matter at certain points throughout the "term", and the actual certification test at the end of the course if that's feasible. I've always wanted to earn these certifications, but it always involves traveling across the country and living in a hotel for a few weeks. I can't get the time off work, and spend $2k in airfare, hotels, and eating out on top of the cost of the course & test. I see one place is offering Logic 101 & 201 for $500 each, but it still requires that you find a testing center at the end of the course. Maybe that's a requirement on Apple's behalf, but it'd still be great to take a course that wasn't as passive as the current courses are, and required some discipline, but also had a class of students that could communicate and share work for the betterment of us all. I'd love to earn certifications in FCPX, Logic Pro, Aperture, Motion, and Photoshop at the very least. The cost of the test is usually ~$150, but if you guys were able to offer the test, it could be rolled into the cost of the class. I think this would be an amazing value. I would definitely put the money down if you offered something like this, and completion would give me something tangible for my resume or advancement in my career. Is anyone else here interested in something like this? http://training.apple.com/certification/proapps http://training.adobe.com/certification.html
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Apple & Adobe Pro Certification!
    Hi jmv, This is great feedback. Thanks! Offering courses that can be supplemented with tests, etc is something we've considered. As an Apple Certified Trainer (Logic Pro), I know that only bricks and mortar Apple Authorised Training Centres (AATC's) are allowed to teach the official 101 courses... and only through these centres can you take the certified exams. This is the way it is by Apple's guidelines upto this time. We'd love to be able to offer exactly what you propose for Logic and FCP... but in many ways at MPV we've been ahead of our time - and it could take some time for the other players in the industry to catch on to this very idea... In the meantime, by watching the content from our Logic courses (even just the 101 course) you'll be much better prepared to take the test than any other means IMHO. Of course it's important to study the official course book too... but the video courses we offer here will take you WELL above and beyond the levels required for the 101 and 201 courses. In case you didn't know, you can do your own study and then take only the 101 exam at an AATC. Just find one close by and arrange to sit the exam. Feel free to ask on our Logic forums here for advice from myself and others about the exam process too. We'll be happy to help where possible. On a side note, macProVideo.com is actually the only Avid Online Training Partner for their Pro Tools 10 Certification. That means our Pro Tools 10 100 course is designed as the intro for users to go on and obtain PT10 certification! There are some things we're working on I'm not able to talk about just yet... but rest assured, we're never satisfied and always looking to provide more... stay tuned! :)
  • Lomilye
    Re: Re: Apple & Adobe Pro Certification!
    Awesome. That's great news! Would it be possible to put together a course that is specifically geared towards preparing someone for the test? There's a LOT of information here, but if someone only wanted to ace that test, it would be helpful to focus solely on content that would be required to pass. Not that it isn't all important, but for the sake of passing an expensive test, it'd be awesome if I could know I'm focusing on the most important content for the task at hand. I guess one way would be to buy the book, and look for videos associated with each chapter in the physical book to supplement what the text offers, but even that could get complicated, jumping between dozens of titles. Anyway, thanks for your response. These certifications have been a goal for a long time, and I'm finally going to make this happen. I'm looking forward to your future offerings.
  • Rounik Admin
    Thanks jmv. we'll bear it mind... our Pro Tools 10 100 course is designed to follow the PT curriculum very closely/strictly. If you're specifically interested in the Logic 101, then do get the book and use the Logic 101 course here at macProVideo. Once you've been through the book there'll likely be some areas you're not 100% about - or want to go deeper into... Then armed with that knowledge you'll be in a perfect position to go to the relevant course and then find the video (or complete course) that best describes that area. Good luck in becoming certified - though more importantly, enjoy the journey to certification! :)
  • BenB
    The "Apple Pro Training Series" books are the test, word for word, the test is the book. One problem with video training geared towards the test is that Apple is very strict about those things. You can't say "here's a video series to prep for the test", as Apple would probably bring the hammer down on you. Not that it couldn't be done, but it would have to follow the book so closely, you'd be open to some liability with Apple. That said, the books are hands-on. Another issue is that in video training we tend to use the common industry jargon. This is not always the jargon Apple uses in the books/tests, and can confuse some folks. I know many students who watched third party videos, never looked at the ATPS book, and failed the test with very low scores. But, videos that would prepare you for the tests would be nice. They'd have to be done by certified trainers who knew the test well, and wouldn't let any test secrets out. Apple is pretty strict about folks not sharing test questions and such. It is a slippery legal slope, which is why you don't find any videos preping for cert tests for pretty much anything. Bottom line is, if you want to pass these test, you have to know the APTS book like the back of your hand.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: