macProVideo.com
Forums
  • thesingingdj
    SampleTank 3 and Logic Pro x
    Hi, just a couple of questions :- I have installed SampleTank 3 and using Logic Pro X to work on my purchased midi files. Upon opening Logic Pro X, I select "Software Instruments" and select "create" I then import a midi file and Logic Pro X has chosen instruments from it's library for each track which is fine. I then assign a single midi channel e.g drums to ST3 and in the Drums instrument channel strip, I navigate to the bottom of the menu to "AU Instruments", then IK Multimedia > SampleTank 3 > Stereo. Question 1, why is there an option to choose "Multi Outputs 16-stereo" ? I then make a small adjustment in the channel strip under "Track" and change the setting midi channel from 1 to 10 for drums so as to work in ST3 when I choose a drum kit for channel 10. On playing back the midi file, the Drums work great and the volume leds are showing. I then repeat the same process for other channels to use ST3, but having to reload ST3 each time under "AU Instruments" So basically I have 16 separate ST3's opened up for each channel ? Question 2, is there a way to have only 1 x ST3 to work with for all 16 channels ? Question 3, Logic Pro X tempo default is 120, why doesn't the 120 change when I import a midi file which is programmed (system exclusive) to be slower than 120 ? is there a way for midi files to over ride Logic's 120 default tempo ? Many thanks, look forward to someone's reply :)
  • Christian L
    Re: SampleTank 3 and Logic Pro x
    Hi The singing DJ, Sorry for the long delay. SampleTank 3 is a 16-part multi-timbral instrument, so you only need to have one instance of SampleTank to use all 16 channels. When you create your new track (Option-Command-N), make sure to tick the Multi-Timbral checkbox and enter 16 parts. Logic will take care of everything and create 16 MIDI tracks for you. If you choose the Multi-Out version of SampleTank, you will be able to route all sounds to different channel strip. This way you will be able to process all SampleTank instrument separately. It will give you more flexibility, but it is not necessary. Finally, if you import your MIDI file in a project by choosing File > Import > MIDI File, it will not import the tempo information. If you want to import the MIDI file original tempo, choose File > Open and choose the MIDI file, or simply drag the MIDI file on Logic's icon in the Finder. I hope it helps! Christian
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: