macProVideo.com
Forums
  • frankenstrudel
    Default to V-drums in Drum Kit Designer
    Can Drum Kit Designer default to V-Drums instead of GM? It would be very helpful. Every time I select a different kit, it always goes back to GM, which is never able to capture drum rolls and is way late even on many pads. Is there a reason not to use a V-drums setting? If I'm entering drums through my keyboard, for example, is GM better for that? Thanks, Frank
  • Joe A
    Re: Default to V-drums in Drum Kit Designer
    Hi Frank - I guess you could choose a favorite DKD preset, select the V-Drum map, and then in the plug-in menu set that to be the Default Patch [Save As Default]. Then whenever you open a DKD instance it should be on the V-Drum map, and if you switch presets in the DKD plug-in menu I think it should stay on the V-Drum map. With the GM mapping you get different hihat articulations [closed/foot/open] on the GM standard F#1/G#1/A#1 hihat keys; with the GM+Modwheel mapping option you get closed hihats on all those keys which need to be opened & closed via modwheel messages; with the V-Drum mapping you get closed hihat on the F#1 & A#1 keys [with the foot hihat on G#1] and the F#1/A#1 hihat open/closing is controlled by CC1 modwheel or CC4 foot control messages. So if you were playing a DKD kit set to the V-Drum map on the keyboard instead of from the V-Drum kit you'd have to incorporate the modwheel or a MIDI CC slider/pedal to open/close the hihats -- the advantage is more variations of open/closed [seven variations instead of just simple closed & open]; the disadvantage is you'd need an extra hand or MIDI foot pedal if playing the kits live two-handed from the keyboard.
  • frankenstrudel
    Awesome, many thanks.
  • frankenstrudel
    Joe, saving my V-drum kit as the default works like a charm. If I select different kits, they all start with the V-drum mapping now. Thanks again! Frank
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: