macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mozodoy
    Time Machine Algorithm
    Hi, I've just gone over Chapter 2: Using Apple Loops; Section 1: Working With Tempo, Chapter 35: Choosing a Time Machine Algorithm from the Logic 101: Mastering Logic tutorial. In it Martin described the various choices in the pop-up menu and then chose 'Rhythmic' for the lesson with a 70's style electric piano. Martin explained that when you time stretch an audio file you introduce artifacts into the audio file. Now I've never used the time stretching applications in Logic so I'm just not familiar with what is supposed to happen using them, sound-wise. At the end of the lesson the result was the electric piano riff, used in the prior two lessons, that now sounded muffled and bumpy, for lack of a better description. After playing it back Martin said, "Sounds pretty good!" I don't think it sounds good at all. What am I missing? Was that really an acceptable result or has my copy got a problem? Really? I know I will have to experiment but when would you use a Time Machine Algorithm and does it generally change the sound so radically? Also, when you do use it do you always work with it in 2 steps; first Audio - Time Machine Algorithm - (select one) and then, in this example, Audio - Adjust Region Length to Locators? I guess this is a bit out of context for me. Perhaps you can help me to get to the heart of the lesson. Thanks.
  • Martin
    Re: Time Machine Algorithm
    The quality of the sound has a lot to do with how much you are timestretching the audio. In general, it's best not to timestretch by more than about 10% ... after that, you'll notice some pretty interesting sounds. The issue is that when you stretch a sound, the DAW has to figure out how to create new "sound" to fill the space. It does take a bit of trial and error ... if one algorythm dos nt sound good, undo and try another. You could also try turning the region into an Apple Loop ... sometimes that sounds better, but it is dependent on the situation at hand ...
  • Christian L
    Re: Time Machine Algorithm
    New algorithms were made available in Logic 7.2. According to the "New features in Logic 7.2" manual page 30, the "universal" alogorithm should be used in most cases. The "Complex" is a better choice when time stretching orchestral or final mixes. The new "Percussive" is a good choice for non-harmonic percussive material that has been processed with reverb. If your unhappy with the result Logic gives you, try another algorithm... Also, as Martin said, converting to Apple Loop can sometimes give better results... and if you're still unsatisfied you can buy one of these : 1-Izotope Radius : [url]http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/radius/[/url] 2-Serato Pitch n' Time : [url]http://www.serato.com/[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: