macProVideo.com
Forums
  • cubot
    Bouncing Extenal Midi Instruments
    Hello. In tutorial 101 Marin mentions that since the Quicktime synth is external to Logic that it won't record in a bounce operation. Does this mean that if I've used a QT drumset in my song, that the only place I can hear the drumset part is in a Logic file format? ( ie I can't burn a CD or an AIFF or MP3 file). Also, does this mean that I am locked into using only software instruments and audio tracks for my sounds, and cannot use my controller keyboard's sounds if I want to create a final mix to some other format than Logic?
  • Fodejai
    Re: Bouncing Extenal Midi Instruments
    Ciao Cubot. No you can use your external instruments in 2 ways: 1. Standard midi way by creating a multi instrument in the environment and then selecting that instrument on the arrange page (this way you can't process it with logic's FX, and you will have to record the midi data on an audio track first in order to bounce it. 2. On the input slot, select the plugin entitled External, then select the midi port/in put settings of your synth......now you acn use logics plugins tp process the midi data. this way you can now bounce your external hardware synth, but it must be done in realtime and not offline. Again there is a catch.....you aonly can use it 1x per external hardware synth, but thats ok....bounce the file to audio and do it over again. Hope that helps, Craig
  • cubot
    Man! that was a fast response. It looks like option number 2 is the way to go here. Forgive my newbieness, but I don't understand where you're starting so that you have an input slot. I don't see one on the Midi instrument I have set up (Quicktime synth) and on the audio instrument I've set up as an alternative I can't find an External option in the I/O slot. I am using Logic Express and I hope this isn't another Pro only feature.
  • Fodejai
    OK, this is in reference to when you said you would like to include sounds from your controller in your bounce. On a audio instrument track.... right click on the input slot then select logic, stereo, external. I have not used the quicktime synth....I am not sure if there is a way to include it.
  • cubot
    Hi again. Thanks for getting back again... I'm clicking on the slot immediately below I/O. On this strip it says Drum Kits. Right click does nothing but show me the closed hand icon. Left click shows me Stereo/Logic/the available software synths (Garage Band, EFM1, ES1, etc. but no External. Am I missing something?
  • Fodejai
    huh? You might not have that option with the express version. I am not sure about that! Maybe one of the moderators will know! check your express manual and see if it is an available plug-in!
  • cubot
    Nothing in the index or the Table of Contents about External. Looks like we're left with option 1. Could you outline that procedure a little more step by step? Thanks again for checking into this for me.
  • macnando
    Unfortunately, there's no External Instrument option in Logic Express. One has to stay with the first possibility.
  • Fodejai
    [quote:3208]Nothing in the index or the Table of Contents about External. Looks like we're left with option 1. Could you outline that procedure a little more step by step? Thanks again for checking into this for me.[/quote] OK, option 1 1st you need to make sure in your environment you have created a multi instrument for your external synth. lets say it is a access virus. From the arrange page rght click on a audio INSTRUMENT TRACK and hold it down....pick MIDI ....Multi.....Access or whatever your synth name is Now when you highlight that track you should hear the keyboard sounds plus see incoming midi data in the transport window. Record your midi piece. Then, once your are happy with it (you quantized it etc.). Click FILE, EXPORT, (REGION OR TRACK) AS AUDIO FILE (If it is region you must have the region highlighted) Then select a AUDIO TRACK, now import the audio file onto the trak through the Audio Menu selcting Input Audio File Now, line it up in the arrangement, Delete or Mute the Midi piece....Now you have a audio File "loop" of the Midi piece Now when you bounce it will be included, and you can process it with logiv FX also.
  • cubot
    Hi Craig. Thanks for the reply. Sorry to be so long getting back to you, but my Internet has been down for a few days. As per your instructions, I have a Multi assigned to my Roland Juno D keyboard in the Env, created a new audio Instrument track, clicked on it (right-clicking had the same apparent effect as left clicking), and selected MIDI Instrmnts (my layer designation, right?) I don't have a MULTI option but I do have the name of the Multi instrument assigned to my synth, so I chose that. 1st question: Don't the preceding steps simply change the audio instrument track I started with to an external MIDI instrument track? If so, why start with an audio instrument? OK. Next I have my MIDI instrument set up for the track and I hear the Roland's sound, and MIDI data in the transport window. Recorded some MIDI stuff. Happy enough. Clicked FILE. Only export option is Export selection as MIDI file. No audio file option. In the local Audio menu there is an item Convert Regions to Audio File, but clicking it didn't seem to have an effect. If an Audio File was created, I can't find it. With all the stuff Logic Express can do, surely recording external MIDI instruments in a mixdown for use on a CD wasn't reserved just for Pro users. That's be like leaving the output jacks off a synth for economy purposes.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: