macProVideo.com
Forums
  • guitar_trance
    Disappearing Track Record Buttons
    I've been using Logic Express in it's standard default setup. I've obviously been missing some things and "taking the long way home," so to speak, in my use of this "more wonderful the more I use it" application. More wonderful, that is, after I get completely comfortable and secure with all of Logic's environment possibilities. So I purchased a couple of the MacProVideo tutorials and started from scratch, hoping to learn some things I may have missed, and to de-complicate things I was obviously doing when trying to use Logic out of past application instinct (alternative DAWs), which, doesn't work with all of Logic's functions/procedures. So I dumped all of my preferences, cleared folders, autoload files, etc. and decided to ride the 'Logic 101: Mastering Logic' bus from the beginning. Something changed when Logic booted for the first time after running the setup asst. along with the tutorial, as instructed by the tutorial. I had 8 Audio tracks, 8 Instrument tracks, and the standard numerous GM inst tracks one gets after opening Logic/Express the first time. (Obviously number of tracks based on how many tracks, etc. one chose during initial setup) Ok, sorry, my question. After going through the setup following along with the tutorial, the ONLY tracks where record buttons are available are the Audio 1-8 tracks. I no longer have access to individual track record buttons for either the Inst 1-8 tracks or any of the standard GM instrument tracks. Why? Although, I understand why no record buttons for the GM Inst. tracks -- no general midi keyboard/instrument connected at this time? When I setup Logic on my own (guessing/experimentation) I had record buttons for all 8 Audio tracks and for all 8 Inst tracks. Why did the individual track record buttons disappear for my Inst tracks? Could it be that, for the tutorial, I decided to only use the Caps Lock keyboard instead of connecting my keyboard/controller? (Not to mention my controller is being used elsewhere for the next week or so.) The setup in the 'Logic 101: Mastering Logic' tutorial shows individual track record buttons for every track from the very first time Logic starts up in the video. Why -- when I followed along step-by-step -- is the tutorial guy's record buttons for both Audio and Inst tracks showing up and mine aren't? Why did I previously have access to Inst track record buttons and now I only have them for Audio Tracks? Would simply like to know how to regain access to track record buttons for Inst tracks as well as Audio tracks - what changed? I'm confused! Although, if it's simply a matter of not having any type of midi keyboard/controller connected I'll simply be embarassed! :P Thanks for help/advice.
  • macnando
    Re: Disappearing Track Record Buttons
    Hi guitar trance, You can select on the View (Arrange window) menu, Track Record Buttons, and you will see them on your audio tracks. You can save this option with your autoload song. You cannot see them on instrument tracks or any other track that record midi data because they do it automatically, you just have to select an inst. track and click on record (transport window) and play your controller. Notice that Martin works in Logic Pro on Logic 101 tutorial and it's more complete then Express. Hope it works!
  • guitar_trance
    _______ You cannot see them on instrument tracks or any other track that record midi data because they do it automatically, you just have to select an inst. track and click on record (transport window) and play your controller. _______ Wow, I must be losing it or something. The first time I installed LE I know I had track record buttons on Audio, Inst and GM tracks... all the way down. I even enabled/disabled them when initially familiarizing myself with the interface, and remember the record buttons all the way down the list of tracks. I even used LE that way until getting these vids! You are correct, of course. The Inst and GM tracks are "record enabled" by default, so-to-speak. I just can't figure out why I had record buttons for all the various types of tracks, yet since starting over - in order to learn from scratch, with the video - I no longer have those all-illusive track record buttons. Strange... maybe the crossgrade got rid of the necessity of having the record buttons for all track types? If not, like I said, I must be losing it. :-P Thanks
  • macnando
    It seems that (differently from Pro) last version of LogicExpress has no record buttons on inst and GM tracks. As you said, those tracks are record enabled by default since they don't provoke any feedback issues. Read below what I cut from the Reference manual: "Recording Selecting a Track To select the desired recording track, simply click on it. Only one MIDI track can be record enabled in Logic Express, which may be on another folder level. During recording, incoming events are stored in a Region on the selected track. Note: Audio tracks must be record enabled, and a recording path (a hard disk drive) defined before audio files can be recorded. " Greetings. macnando
  • guitar_trance
    Well, I still don't know whether something changed or I've taken leave of my good sense. ;-) Nevertheless, at least everything seems to be functioning correctly at this point. The Logic tutorials are great. I was making some things more complicated than they were. Plus, that dreaded Logic "Environment" was causing me to view everything else, even the simple things, as more difficult than necessary. And it was all right there in front of me the entire time! Logical, and fairly straightforward. :-) Good tutorials, MacProVideo... BRAVO! And, thanks a bunch, macnando
You must be logged in to post a reply
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: