macProVideo.com
Forums
  • ThePete
    Finding Tempo
    Steve, really enjoyed all of the first tips and tricks so far. One request for the future ( if possible) 1. How about a Logic way of finding the tempo of an a cappella. ( again if possible). As much as i love Logic im always putting a cappellas in Ableton Live first, let it analyse the file, stretch it to the tempo i want then bounce it to Logic. Kind of a pain to have to use another program to do that. So any tips and tricks on that would be AWESOME!! And Please, don't forget to release an ES2 tutorial..
  • steveH
    Re: Finding Tempo
    [quote:11823]Steve, really enjoyed all of the first tips and tricks so far. One request for the future ( if possible) 1. How about a Logic way of finding the tempo of an a cappella. ( again if possible). As much as i love Logic im always putting a cappellas in Ableton Live first, let it analyse the file, stretch it to the tempo i want then bounce it to Logic. Kind of a pain to have to use another program to do that. So any tips and tricks on that would be AWESOME!! And Please, don't forget to release an ES2 tutorial..[/quote] Thanks! Yes, there is a way to get Logic to find the tempo of a clip... and, there's away to adjust the clip to Logic Tempo!.... Good idea!!!
  • Martin
    [quote:11823]1. How about a Logic way of finding the tempo of an a cappella.[/quote] Hmmm, wasn't that covered in the August Cameo? I think Video 14, "Finding Song Tempo" ...
  • ThePete
    Yes but they had multiple parts to the song and he used a drum part to find the tempo since it was a constant beat. But when all you have is an a cappella (to make a remix for example) theres really no way of telling what tempo it was sang in right? :)
  • Martin
    All the a cappellas I use are sung to a beat, or even aclick track, so it's easy to guestimate the tempo using this trick because you can hear the phrasing in the way the words are sung ... I guess this could be more of an issue if you're remixing old disco or opera, or something that floats a bit more. Still, it'll let you get close ...
  • ThePete
    True... I can get a pretty good idea of the tempo using ableton or melodyne but again i just wanted to get an idea if there was a way to do it quickly in logic without having to use a third party program. That way i can take an a cappella of an unknown tempo. Do whatever in logic to get the tempo ( insert tip or trick here) , then use the Pitch and Time to time strech it and start adding beats....and collect the royalties.. ha
  • Martin
    At this point in time there's nothing like that in Logic. Those type of edits will take some work in Logic 7. For example, you will probably need to cut the a cappella into phrases before proceeding ... but maybe that's a good thing! If you cut the a cappella into phrases, you can also do the reverse edit and visit the Arrange Window's local Audio menu > Adjust Region Length to Locators function to stretch it to the tempo of your song. But yeah, I can see how this would all be a good topic for a TNT ... :)
  • steveH
    You CAN find the tempo of any audio region as long as you know its exact length (1 bar, 2 bars etc), Here's how: 1. Select an audio region. 2. Create cycle region that is the same bar length as the region. If the audio region when played in the audio window is a one bar phrase, then set your cycle region's locators to one bar. If the audio region, when played in the audio window (or soloed in the arrange window to avoid the click), is a two bar phrase, then set your cycle region's locators to two bars etc. Of course the length of the selected audio region and the length of your cycle region's locators will be different, and that's OK because Logic needs to compare the two and reset the tempo to match the audio region!!! 2. NOW, go to the global "Options" menu and select "Adjust tempo by selecting region length and locators". In the next dialog box select "global" and, like magic, Logic will change the tempo of your song to match the region!! SIMPLE!!!! Steve and Igor
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: