macProVideo.com
Forums
  • skankster
    Logic vs Cubase
    Any users out there have used both? My quick story: I have used Cubase for MANY years (way before VST, even). I liked it, for the most part - but I was never crazy about their customer support. The main thing that bugged me was that there were always features that never quite worked right -they even acknowledged it - but instead of fixing those bugs, they were (are) forever releasing upgrades and new versions with new features that you had to pay extra for - but quit supporting (never fixed the bugs) the old versions. But stll - I was pretty comfortable with the interface. i.e. - Their idea of a default was pretty close to mine. Fast forward to now - I finally bit the bullet and switched to Mac (not real happy with that, either - but that's a different rant}, and since Logic was also made by Apple, I figured it would be the most compatible. Plus - I got a GREAT deal on having Logic Express pre-installed on my Mac Pro. Anyway, I am having a really difficult time getting comfortable with it. I'm willing to chalk it up to growing pains, but I wonder if it's a matter of a difference in mind-set. Which brings me to: Now Logic Studio has come out at a fantastic price, just at the same time as Steinberg is offering some very attractive upgrade offers for users of Cubase LE (which I have), and I'm trying to sort out which way to go - so if any of you have experience with both platforms, I would really appreciate your input. Is Cubase as stable and well integrated on the Mac platform as Logic - because if not, that would probably be the deal killer. However, if it's mostly just a difference in interface, I might be more comfortable going back with Steinberg. Sorry for the long-winded tome. Ken
  • heimi
    Re: Logic vs Cubase
    Hi Ken I'm using Logic, cubase and nuendo for several years. If you're working with both sequencers you see exactly the difference. And all I can say is that for me Logic is the better way to go now. I saw the new videos from Nuendo 4 and i'ts always the same: new features, too much things inside one screen, unusable workflow (for me),....and always this Toys'R'Us skin which makes eyestrain. Just compare the skins of logic 8 and cubase 4 and you know what I mean. At the moment I'm working 95% with logic and 5% with steinberg if I have to (compatibility). Another thing is the price and what you get for the price. Just compare this product. And why not take Nuendo 4 (protools killer ;-) ) which price is 6 times higher than logic: ES2 - Prologue SpaceDesigner - Roomworks Ultrabeat - LM-1 EXS24 - HALion One etc. I think Nuendo 4 has one big advance, the 32-bit audio engine and the audio editor. I hope in this area logic 8.1 or 8.5 will deliver this in addition on Christmas or NAMM 08. Heimi
  • skankster
    Heimi - Thanks for the response. For some reason - I've never been affected one way or another by the skin of an app. But - workflow and stability are everything, I figure you are right about Logic, because - being made by Apple - it has to be more integrated with Mac. I think Cubase was developed on PC and ported to Mac. Ken
  • heimi
    If you're sitting hours per day in front of the sequencer the GUI becomes important I think. Hmmmm....diffcult point. I think at the moment it's not so easy for Steinberg to find new customers on apple plattform. The price of Logic 8 is really a challenge. And I think you're not wrong when you say that most of the Steinberg users are PC users. For me it doesn't matter if I work on PC or Mac. I need both, because Steinberg Wavelab is only working on a PC plattform. I've never worked with Waveburner....and I'm still waiting for Steve or Martin's Waverburner tutorial, because I've no time to read the user guide....I think there is no waveburner userguide. I think (and hope) that one day you will see the advantage of the mac-logic combination comparing with other solutions. Maybe another point is that only Logic is supporting Protools TDM. Nuendo doesn't support it. Heimi
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: