macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jd
    Snowball's chance in Logic (Core Audio and Logic)
    I'm just getting started with Logic 8, making the move from GarageBand. I also just started with the Logic Pro 8 101 course. One thing I am confused about, and curious to know more about. I have a Snowball USB mic. It seems to get this to work with Logic I needed to go to the MIDI Audio Setup utility, create an Aggregate Device, add the Snowball mic, and then select that Aggregate Device as the Core Audio device in Logic audio preferences. It worked (after some fiddling around), but I have no idea why I need to do this. In GarageBand, or just Mac OS X in general just setting the Output and Input device in the Sound Preference Pane is enough to select the device. But I have no idea why it worked, or why I needed to do that. Will there be an overview at all regarding setting up various pieces of hardware with Logic? Can someone explain a bit about how Logic interacts with Core Audio? It seems that Logic only can deal with a single Core Audio device at a time, is that the case? And therefore if going with a Core Audio device it needs to combine both input and output? Thanks for any explanations that would help clarify this for me. Overall, am enjoying the course videos and am looking forward to the coming chapters! Thanks, James
  • jd
    Re: Snowball's chance in Logic (Core Audio and Logic)
    I believe that I found the answer to my question, so thought I'd post here in case anyone else was wondering: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301856 "Logic cannot access devices that offer only an input, and therefore cannot use the digital input. On systems with Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you can work around the issue by creating an aggregate device that uses the I/O from both available audio devices on your system."
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: