macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jazzgitman
    Newbie to Midi and Logic. Need Major Help Please
    Hey Everyon, This is Kevin Curtis from Dallas Texas. I have some questions for you and hopefully you can give me some insite. We are importing Midi tracks into logic format. What happens is that it assigns different instruments to the tracks. I am very very new to Midi but know enough to be very very dangerous. Ha Ha. It was my understanding that there is general Midi which assigns certain instruments to certain midi channels. When you put in a midi track it should play the tracks thru general Midi and then you can tweek from there. Well it's not doing it. In fact sometimes some of the tracks are literally shut off but you can see there is data there. What I am trying to accomplish is to have these midi tracks to play along with. Having the score helps me to learn the melody quicker and then I want to go out and perform them. I went to guitar center and purchased a prgram called bandstand that will set up the tracks in said order. It's a way to get me started as I have a ton of gigs coming up at the end of November and December. Is there something that I need to turn on to get logic to recognize general Midi ? Is there a way to set up set lists or would it be better to record it, make them MP3's and put them in I-tunes? This is how I run my general show now with my sets in my I-pod. Any help that you could give me would be much appreciated as I am totally at a loss. Also I am using internal sounds but I do have a roland JV1080 expanded and a DR880 drum machine if you feel this would be a better way of going. Looking forward to your reply. Kevin Curtis
  • Christian L
    Re: Newbie to Midi and Logic. Need Major Help Please
    Hi Jazzgitman, and welcome to the macProVideo forum. Do you have Logic 8 or Logic 7? Logic 8 will automatically load software instruments for each track when you use "File/Open" to load the GM file. If you use "File/Import..." it will import the Midi File in your arrangement without loading the soft inst. Hope it helps!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: