macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Blackbond002
    Testing The Great Mindz Of Macprovideo!!
    I am not new to music producion however my knowledge does not span over a vast area. I have recently put together a home studio setup, & am having lost of fun finnally getting some beats together. Logic pro was a must as this is the programme (7&8), I've always had a dirty little relationship with!! Ok now I have stopprd rambling, I will get to the point. I'm getting to the point where it is apparent that my beats need a dam good mixdown, referencing would help, but I don't have the luxery at the moment, to have two different sets of monitors or the space. I have read & been told that Stereo & Analyzers, Phase/Vectorscopes, Spectrograms; will help alot in this department but i'm a bit lost as where to start. CAN ANYONE HELP!! (I will be eternally grateful) Many Thanks, J P.s. I'm sure this won't be the last time i'm here begging for help just didn't wanna burn all my bridges on the virgin voyage.
  • md
    Re: Testing The Great Mindz Of Macprovideo!!
    maybe this will help...so you say that you dont have good space ... meaning bad control room,right? if so youre doomed...heh so you are left with your speakers and your ,not good room to master your mixses here... any scope like Stereo & Analyzers, Phase/Vectorscopes, Spectrograms wont help in this bad controllroom, what you can do...well try this; use what you have,ears... you probbably use those spekers for listening music you like...compare do not work longer than 1-2 hours without resting your ears... remove or isolate any devices with fans,it will change your hearing bandwith and dynamics ... couse the brain eliminates constant noise in hearing spectrum... choose your good eq ,try to cut not to add ...if you add it will mess with your pahse coherency and it will sound shallow... use multiband compressor or make it if it sounds better by duplicating channels,cutting the unwanted eq band on some chanels and compress it separatly mixing it all together with un compressed signal if needed... compress in stages not all at once (expriment) compress parts of song differently, to make the bridge sound more agressive or to hit you harder, soften your mix before the hard and punchy part of your song... ad little shine 16-20khz,heh listen,louder and softer hope this helps m.
  • Blackbond002
    Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. The room isn't that bad it's just there is a whole heap of other stuff in there due to circumstance, but I hear ya acoustivs are everything. I have a G5 3.0 Quad core, which is pretty silent & the monitors I have are KRK V8 series II & they deliver a really nice sound. Seems just when I play the version anywhere else It tends to sound really bassy, although when I ma in the studio it sounds sweet! lol (simple solution turn the bass down). Ideally 1-2 hrs is perfect before resting your ears but, sometimes I have to go in for longer as time is not my friend or i9'm just having to much fun lol, I will make more of an effort though. I have experimented with different kinds of compression alittle, I find it tends to make things sound muffled & to squashed (in this particular song), as if the original sound is better. I think my main problem Is just learning how to mix down properlly, plus I have a habit of putting everything in stereo & i'm told that's bad lol
  • md
    #plus I have a habit of putting everything in stereo & i'm told that's bad lol# it reminds me that you can check your mix and instrument eq colisions in mono, which means you just switch mix to mono output and then tweek the pans and eq... when it sounds stable go back to stereo,and again... cut lows on any inst. wich is not suposse to have the dominant lows,make space in eq spectrum and separate any inst. with eq...avoiding eq overlaping youll avoid muddiness. soloing chanell may sound thin or basseless but in context youl find overall sound more stable...heh m. p.s. about to bassy when translating to other systems; do you have any helmontz or acoustic traps or any rezonators? reduce the number of those if they are mobile or modular,or change the position of your speakers...probably more closer to the walls...it may enhance the lows in the room.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: