macProVideo.com
Forums
  • NONOJO
    disk too slow BUT NOT ! HELP
    Steve I currently am working on a track that keeps chokining on me. But i turned off all Plug-Ins & INS & i don't have any audio playing. I usally would scrap it by now & avoid the headache but it's important to my WORK !! I really need to keep all the production intact. I have been working on it for a while & it's almost done ! A lil history , i was working and the traxx crashed. Since then it's been acting up, choking "DISK TO SLOW " but like i said i made sure to turn all plugins/inst on BYPASS. And my computer can handle alot . Sometimes it will play but the arrow spins for a few min before it plays or ends up reading "disk too slow.. There is no way anyone can work this way . Have you head of anything like this and can you give me any advise?? Is there a way to reset somthing in this track to make it work ? thnx JAY
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: disk too slow BUT NOT ! HELP
    hi Jay can you give us more information... 1. what are your mac's specs? 2. os x system? 3. version of logic. 4. ram/cpu 5. more than 2-4GB disk space remaining on your system drive and drive you are running your audio files from? 6. If you are using a laptop - does it have a 5400rpm drive (slower) or a 7200rpm drive (faster)? 7. are you running your audio files from an external hard disk? 8. What about your cpu meter in logic? what is it's reading? 9. I/O buffer settings? (setting them higher will result in more latency during recording - but take the strain of your cpu and HD during playback/mixing. 10. which audio interface are you using? 11. what sample rate is your project? 12. how many other audio tracks and instrument tracks are running simultaneously? 13. is your audio file split into lots and lots of separate regions on the same track? If so try bouncing the track offline, reimporting it, muting the original and see if problem persists. i think that's enough for now. if you can answer the question parts and try some of the suggestions hope we can help more! Cheers Rounik
  • NONOJO
    Rounik, Thnx for replying ..I'll copy your Q so the thread flows neatly..& i'll answer as best as i can . 1. what are your mac's specs?-- Dual 2.5 ghz power pc g5 2. os x system?-- 10.4.10 3. version of logic.-- 7.2.3 4. ram/cpu-- 3.5 gb ram 5. more than 2-4GB disk space remaining on your system drive and drive you are running your audio files from? --- i have 33 gigs available space & the drive is internal. 6. If you are using a laptop - does it have a 5400rpm drive (slower) or a 7200rpm drive (faster)? no laptop 7. are you running your audio files from an external hard disk? INTERNAL 8. What about your cpu meter in logic? what is it's reading?--- Currently with no plugins(efx) -6 INST channels & no audio playing the meter read - disk i/o is not poping up @ all ! and the audio side is popping up very very little. 9. I/O buffer settings? (setting them higher will result in more latency during recording - but take the strain of your cpu and HD during playback/mixing.-- It is set @ 512. I have never had to change it & it always runs smooth. I took you advise and up it to 1024 & nothing the same .. 10. which audio interface are you using? I use the digi 002 11. what sample rate is your project? 44100 12. how many other audio tracks and instrument tracks are running simultaneously? 0 audio tracks & 6 inst tracks currently & it still chokes . The track has 17 inst tracks & 1 audio track in total but again i have minimized it down to the bare hoping somthing would change but it has not . 13. is your audio file split into lots and lots of separate regions on the same track? No i use the loop function on all channels until i have to edit . If so try bouncing the track offline, reimporting it, muting the original and see if problem persists?? i am avaoiding bouncing it into audio beacause all automation is not finished. -Keep in mind that no matter what command i try it starts to locking up . Even if its to press the play button , it spins for a min or two then it might play or give the disk to slow option . I have many other projects were im using a ton of INS ch , audio , efx , automation etc .. really pushing my computer & she handels fine . It's this one spicific project .. I really need to keep this project ...wat can it be ??? Thnx again .. Let me know if you have any ideas or direction to put in . Jay
  • steveH
    Have you tried freezing?
  • Christian L
    If you're saying that you don't have any problem with other songs and that this song crashed, it's possible that it is corrupted or something. Take a look inside this Song's project folder and you should see a folder named "Song Backups". Try opening one of the song's file backup... By the way, did the problem occured just after the crash ?
  • NONOJO
    So i tried to freeze and that did not help. I went back and opened the "song back ups" & they all have the same problem. And what i mean by all , is that i have changed the name of the song since this problem began. and yes the problem began after crashing .. So @ this point im going to strategise a way to save whatever i can . MidiExport , save Channel strips etc .. Unless you guys have anyother idea or way to save my current almost finished project ...:) Can i EXport AUTOMATION ????
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jay sorry for not getting back to you sooner when you took the time to answer all my questions!! I would, unfortunately, agree with Christian that it seems to be a corrupt song! Definitely, save all channels strips. Export all audio files. export all midi files. as for automation - i don't know a way to export this - sorry. but at least you'll have all the rest relatively intact. I think Christian or Steve may know this - if it's possible to export region based automation as a midi file? If so great, if not....it's gonna have to be manual! What you could do is keep the new song and the old song open at the same time and copy it by hand first and then make minor adjustements later? either way, it's gonna take a long time. let us know how it goes... Rounik
  • Christian L
    [quote:12583] Can i EXport AUTOMATION ????[/quote] You can export automation by selecting a track and choosing Options / Track Automation / Move All Track Automation Data to Region. Open a new song but don't close your main project. You can now drag and drop the regions to the new project and the automation will be copied. In your new song, select Options / Track Automation / Move All Region Control Datat to Automation for each track. Et voila ! Your automation will be available in your new project.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: