macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wuromaa
    Multitrack audio editing
    I record multiple tracks of a piece simultaneously. It could be a a main pair on a chamber orchestra + one mic per solo singer + a pair on the organ etc. First one take, then another, and another after each other on the timeline. Then the perhaps the intro separately etc. Obviously there is no click track so timing varies slightly from take to take. I now have loads of audio regions on multiple tracks that should be reduced to one version of the piece, still multi track. What is the preferred way to do this i Logic? I bought the Logic 8 101 and 303 tutorials hoping to find some hints on dealing with recording and editing multimicked audio. I found lots of info on midi stuff that I don't use and little on what I was looking for.
  • steveH
    Re: Multitrack audio editing
    Do you mix individual tracks from different takes? Are you talking about the recording or editing process? Is each take a whole take? Do you plan to use small sections from each take to build a whole take? Help me out here so I can help you!
  • Wuromaa
    I could have two mics on the piano, one on a solo soprano, on on a solo baryton, two on the choir, two as main pair taking in everything. That is 8 mics, each going to its own track. They are all recorded at once. No overdubs. I record the whole piece at once using all mics. Then again, and again, and again. Leaving many recordings of the same piece. One after another. Then I want to use the intro from the second recording and the coda from the first recording and the rest from the fourth recording. I dont see recording as a problem, but I can't see how to cut and splice multiple tracks/regions at once in Logic other then the comping feature that is far to primitive for this problem since (1) there is no cliktrack so timing is not exact between takes and (2) the comping feature can only handle one track at the time. In the example above I would have up to eight tracks. I need to cut/splice the choir and the mains and the soprano etc at the same place. Mixing the result to stereo would be a later step.
  • Christian L
    [quote:24731] I dont see recording as a problem, but I can't see how to cut and splice multiple tracks/regions at once in Logic (...) I need to cut/splice the choir and the mains and the soprano etc at the same place. [/quote] To cut multiple track regions at the same place : 1-)Select all the track you need to cut. (either by click-dragging or using cmd-A to select all. You can also Shift-Click on all the regions you want one by one.) 2-Use the Scissors tool to cut at a specific point. You will also need to use the Crossfade tool to avoid clicks and pops and make great sounding transitions.
  • steveH
    I suggest that you record a section, pack that section into a folder, name the folder, mute it and begin recording (in the same part of the timeline again. If you repeat this process for multiple takes you can have all you takes in folders on the same part of the timeline, which makes it easier to locate, navigate, and edit your "foldered" takes. Doing it this ways will allow you to double click on take folders to open them and edit only those tracks.
  • Wuromaa
    As for comping (blind since then the waveform is hidden) via folders and using crossfades over multiple tracks, sliding regions/takes back and forth, sliding splices back and forth to find the best place etc all using multiple tracks. I have an idea of what I want to do, but I havent found how in the Logic manuals. I was hoping to find some examples and best practices in the tutorials. Is there a tutorial that focuses on how to use Logic for acoustic music, recording/editing actual sounds via microphones rather than creating sounds via synthesisers or software instruments? Something that wont fit in loops. Music that is not aligned to a clicktrack.
  • steveH
    Hi, I'm not suggesting comping blind. I was stressing a different approach to organization by using folders. In terms of recording and editing acoustic music: it is accomplished in Logic as it is in every other DAW on the market. What sets Logic apart from some of the others is the power of its region-based editing (rather than track-based) and Logic's unique and often very powerful editing and navigational key commands. Here's a tip: The only way to do a multi-track tale folder is to set up an automation group including all the tracks BEFORE you begin recording -it won't work after the fact! In terms of your original question... it is way too broad. If there is something specific that is perplexing you, I be glad to help out! :) And your right, Logic needs an audio recording tutorial...great idea.... I'm going to think about doing one! Steve
  • Wuromaa
    > And your right, Logic needs an audio recording tutorial...great idea.... > I'm going to think about doing one! Well, I actually thought I bought one ... or three rather, since I got the bundle with Logic 101 + 303 + STP. Multimicked acoustic music is what I do.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: