macProVideo.com
Forums
  • morgalex
    Optimizing for Audio?
    Anyone know of any tips, resources or step-by-step to optimize your OS for audio production? I am interested in stripping mine to bare-bones. Just want to run audio apps and a web browser. Any help (other than basics like don't run other apps when your DAW is open...) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • RickC
    Re: Optimizing for Audio?
    [quote:6583]Anyone know of any tips, resources or step-by-step to optimize your OS for audio production? I am interested in stripping mine to bare-bones. Just want to run audio apps and a web browser. Any help (other than basics like don't run other apps when your DAW is open...) would be much appreciated. Thanks![/quote] Both EQ Magazine and Recording Magazine published 2005/06 year end Equipment reviews which contained articles by contributers.I dont remember which magazine it was,but there was definitely an article on Optimizing Mac and Windows for Audio. Check these magazines websites for info. Also,do a Google search "optimizing Mac for Audio" and check Mac audio sites.
  • Martin
    Optimizing for audio?!? This IS a Mac, after all ... ;) Seriously though, there's not much you need to do to optimize the mac ... you *could* do little things like ensure background processes suck as dashboard are not running and consuming system resources (use the Activity Monitor to see what is running, how much resources it is consuming, and quiting apps you don't think you need). However, that's a pretty minor issue. Probably the best thing you could do is install a second hard disk for all your audio work, or if songs are getting complex with lot's of tracks, you can stream the audio from both discs. (Logic has a disk I/O meter that can tell you when your disk throughput is getting stressed ...) Aditionally, MORE RAM!! More RAM equals more software instruments and samples playing faster, as the computer does not need to rely on Virtual memory as much. using Virtual memory is a big system slowdown problem, as the audio needs to "stream" of the hard disk, where it is temporarily stored. Virtual memory usually uses your primary hard disk, so this is another situation where a second disk for audio really helps. Other than that, I personally don't do anything special anymore ... it ain't like a few years ago when scraping that extra little bit of resources together really helped! Of course, I'm using a quad G5 as my main production box, so there's a lot of horsepower there ... maybe that's why I'm such a glutton ...
  • morgalex
    Thanks Rick & Martin!
  • kayleclements
    I have set up a new user account that i only use for logic. I also have another account that I use for Graphic Design and web work. I don't install any utilities or 3rd party software in the Logic account - keep it strictly audio. When I am using Logic, I also turn off airport and networking along with any other utilities and set my energy setings for max performance. I try to run as lean as possible. I also suggest an external HD - keep Logic on your system drive and record to the external HD. RAM is another HUGE bonus - as much as you can put in - really made a difference for me.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: