macProVideo.com
Forums
  • rastAsia
    Moving Intel Macs
    Dark blotches of fungus of some sort is starting to grow inside my CoreDuo 17". Since its within the warranty period, I brought the issue up to Apple. They offered to replace the monitor but there was no more available supply of the 17" CoreDuo screens... Thus Apple support has offered to give me a new machine as replacement. Hurrah! Alas a 32 bit Core2Duo with wireless N built-in. (Is there a diff between CD & C2D monitors? Who cares?!) Awesome! Before accepting their offer I wanted to be sure what's the best way to move all my programs and data across from this machine to the newer one. I hear that I can use Carbon Copy Cloner but for some reason it always crash and never got to complete the Cloning process to my external HD. They've requested me to hand in the old mac first and then I will receive the new one. So it basically has to be a transplant of some sort to a temporary drive. Anybody got any experience with this? Strangely enough in the Netherlands, I hear that Apple Support Stores will charge an administration fee of EU85 p/hr assisting with the data transfer which I thought was a bunch of bollocks. I remember backing up my whole 120GB HD and it took 2 hours... thus an equivalent of EU170 before 19% VAT to get THEM to do it. I'm sure there's a way I can do it myself like when I acquire a G5 and transfered all my previous data from the old trustable iBook G4 with the Power Up and T (Transfer HD mode). Only this time I will not have my MBP no more before the new one gets here. Any advise & help is greatly appreciated. I have a week in waiting.
  • Martin
    Re: Moving Intel Macs
    Arbon copy cloner works pretty well, but you need to tell it to "fix Permissions" or something like that ... I can't remember exactly ... When I was teaching for Apple, I'd have to install a clean image on every machine in the lab before each course, and Carbon Copy cloner was the way we did that ... it was a few years ago now thoiugh, and I can't remember the exact process ... It also takes seemingly days to create an image if you have more than 10 or 15 GBs of material to clone ... Personally, I recommend a clean install of all your software. Call me old-fashioned, but it seems that a clean install always runs faster than a transfer. However, you can make it quick and easy on yourself by just copying your ENTIRE home folder to a hard disc, and then copying it directly onto your new computer. All your preference files will be intact, so your software will still run as expected. It's a bit of a drag that you have to give the old one in first though ... what if you forget to copy something? Be carefull ...
  • rastAsia
    Tried doing the cloning with Carbon Copy Cloner again this morning and again, it crashed. Checking the Update option box shows a new beta release update to v3.0 b5 or was it b4.... the latest one. But again it failed to complete the cloning task. THIS IS GETTING TO BE PRETTY SCARY.... Friend of mine have Data Rescue II which also has a cloning function on its Expert Mode. Should I try that you think? I only have days before the courier come to pick up this CoreDuo and I hope to get it sorted. Its really starting to be a daunting task which I think Apple should have helped with. Where's the thousands of mulas worth of Customer Support eh? Starting to doubt if its worth the trouble afterall its just a monitor fault, not even logic board or the internal systems. Maybe I should call Apple and ask for their advise on this. But if you must see the problem(s) I had with this MacBook Pro then tell me if its not worth it. But there were actually more previous issues with the MBP which they helped cleaned up. This is the 3rd issue... Peeling paint and frayed Magsafe adapter was the 1st & 2nd. [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rastasia/418666060/[/url]
  • Martin
    Do you have enough room on your tardet disc to hold the disc image you're trying to create? Apple won't help you with this problem because they don't want any responsibility if you screw up and delete your data ... Do you have another mac, or a second hard drive? If so, you can image your disc using the apple disc utility ... however, you won't be able to just clone that onto a new computer. You will be able to ensure your data is secure, though ... (you could check to see if ccCloner will clone from that type of imag file, I'm not sure) File > New > Disk Image from disk0
  • rastAsia
    Hey guys, just for those who were curious about the transition progress - here's a detailed update. I've successfully moved all my datas from the older machine which was a 2.16GHz CoreDuo MacBook Pro to the newer released machine a Core2Duo 2.33GHz 17". Only reason for moving was that the previous monitor was giving me problems with some kind of fungus growth. It got to distractful not to complain about. I learnt from Apple Support that they no longer stock the older monitor for replacement and probably due to the different power usage with the newer C2D machine, they just couldn't make me a monitor swap; thus the whole machine instead. I thanked em - no doubt. I had different advise from various groups on how to do the transition. Many suggested the Transfer mode when you install in a new OS but the issue here of course was that I did not have my older machine to do that. Thus the other possible options was to create a Disk Image or a Clone of the original machine's hard drive. I chose the latter for easy access. I have a spare Lacie 500GB external Hard Drive sitting around as my backup so I used that. (They were going cheap at EU120 thus no reason to not stock em in-house.) Using Data Rescue II v.1 I made a total clone of the drive. Took 2.5hrs to get everything mirrored onto the new Lacie and it utilised the whole ext hard drive space even though MBP drive was only 120GB in size. Somebody have to explain to me why this's so. Guess I could have made a partition of the Lacie prior to this. [url]http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue_info.php[/url] Once that was done, scheduled TNT Courier picked up my old machine. Of course for security sake, I did a whole OS clean install on that machine. Don't wanna risk anything even if its going back straight to Apple. The new machine came few days later, fresh in sealed box and all peripherals intact (thus now I have doubles of remote, power brick, DVI/VGA converter, DVD manual) didn't look no different. All except for the new Gloss screen, new C2D processor, faster processor and bigger HD! I watched the Blockbuster OSX video thru, sat down with my tea and cookie and threw popcorn in the microwave... Did the whole registration process until when I choked when the transfer window option popped up. It reads, [b]CONNECT FIREWIRE CABLE[/b].... [i]Sweet mother or Maradona??!!![/i] I used a Porsche Lacie external drive - [b]with USB[/b].... [i]limp.[/i] [url]http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10764[/url] [url]http://images.apple.com/macosx/features/setup/images/index_setup20050412.jpg[/url] I died for a few seconds... WTF?!! I plugged the USB cable in anyways... and had all 10 fingers crossed!! And waited for a miracle. Silence... and then... [i]Maradona's mom a rockin legend! [/i][b]FIREWIRE CABLE DETECTED![/b] Don't ask. But it worked. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took a good 2 hours to transfer everything back in. It sees the Lacie as an external machine which have Data, Application and Preferences waiting to be transfered. Sweet!! All transfered fine except for my MOTU driver which scrambled some MIDI error when I tried starting Logic. I did a reinstall and it worked fine. Strangely Pro Tools Application transfered everything completely fine. Some other applications asked for Serial Re-Registration but on the whole. All audio programs transfered well. Just past 4 hours from the time I got this new machine at the door, iIt now felt like my old machine never left. The whole thing works brighter and smoother with old preferences intact, Mail, wallpaper and even widgets - all exact replica of the latter. I did Disk Permission repair for safety and all was dandy. I'm keeping that Lacie external drive for a couble more days before I swipe it all clean again to serve another day. Until when I'm 200% sure that everything on this machine is working fine. So there's my report. 3rd day running now and its smoother than ever. Thanks Martin and other's who helped with the move. Macs! Gota love the surprises... especially with that Firewire connection. [i]* Dude, I don't know Maradona's mom. But she's been my lady luck.[/i]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: