macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Deaner
    Leopard backwards compatible/64 bit
    I just bought an (what is now) "old" white 17'' iMac, and as it turns out I am getting Leopard free -- I'm delighted! Yet if it has "bugs" in it (not the kind in my apt. and on my dog), I'd really like to know that I can revert back to Tiger if I want. Also, what's the deal with 64 bit? What makes it 64 bit? Is it the OS, the computer, or both? I'd really like to know that I'm running 64 bit once I get my Leopard up. Thanks! Dean
  • Martin
    Re: Leopard backwards compatible/64 bit
    The OS seems to be stable on all the computers we have that are running it. I wouldn't be worried to upgrade. The processors used on the new intel Macs are 64-bit which more or less means they can crunch more numbers at one time than the 32-bit processor in your 17" iMac. The OS is written to leverage this power, as are many of the newer applications (such as N.E.D.). Unless you have a newer intel iMac, you won't get this extra power, but that's no reason not to upgrade ... Leopard is a good OS.
  • Deaner
    I'm really disappointed to hear that, because 64 bit is a major deal and equals computing power, and I don't want something old. But is this unique to Apple? If I had bought say a Athlon 64 dual core processor instead of my MA590 iMac, would I then truly have this 64 bit power? I kind of recall now Jobs saying something about how the iMAC is the only one with "true" 64 bit. What about backwards compatibility? Is the MAC also the only one with this ability? Even better, I'd really like a webpage to refer to on this, as I've long been looking for one. I'm also wondering whether to upgrade RAM or not, depending on whether it will do the trick. I'm noticing that the computer does slow down in certain applications or when it's loaded, and it's just been reformatted, so I know there is nothing in it. Unfortunately, to get 1 more Gig of Ram is a $200 gouge, and I don't know where else to get it. Thanks for reply!
  • Martin
    Mah ... it's not a super big deal ... the key is to use what you got to the fullest ... :) More RAM will always help with music production, as you can hold more samples for playback, and instantiate more software instruments, so that's a good way to go. Also, only software that is optimized for 64-bit processing will truely use 64-bit processors to their fullest ... and that's not much software at the moment.
  • Deaner
    The Core 2 brand refers to a range of Intel's consumer 64-bit dual-core and MCM quad-core CPUs with the x86-64 instruction set, and based on the Intel Core microarchitecture, which derived from the 32-bit dual-core Yonah laptop processor. The Core 2 brand was introduced on July 27, 2006 (WIKIPEDIA QUOTE) Thanks for your reply's Martin, but you (and the confirmations of others who didn't know) slowed me down quite a bit, and had me thinking that I wanted the newer model for the $250 more, seeing that you said that I didn't have the 64 bit. Seeing I have the MA590, it already qualifies as the above. So I can fully run in 64 bit with the MA590 and Leopard. As for your last comment "Also, only software that is optimized for 64-bit processing will truely use 64-bit processors to their fullest ... and that's not much software at the moment." , I think that's all the more reason to get 64 if it's convenient! Apple is merely setting the trend in motion for what is to follow (it seems like they kind of do that these days -- ie. iPOD, iPHONE, iTUNES etc.), so why not try to get something NEW, rather than OLD if the opportunity is there? It matters not that few 64 apps are out there now, because they will be soon enough, and meanwhile I'll be enjoying the speed difference along with my new RAM for $99/Gig (not $200/Gig like someone ELSE told me). Thanks for your help anyway.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: