macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tulu
    Regarding OS 10.4
    Could you tell me how to do the disk defragmentation. My machine is G5 quad but has become very slow. Today I have updated 16 applcation instructed by apple through web. AFter this update my logic pro 7 also crashing in the first place. I dont know what todo. Thanks
  • leejandsue
    Re: Regarding OS 10.4
    according to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668 it is probably not going to do any good to defragment. you might use the disk utility to verify disk, and permissions. It sounds more like either the updates you did slowed down your system, or you have a lack of memory, or your hard disk is getting full. How much memory? what percentage of your hard drive is full? what version of osx are you using? did you upgrade to this version of osx, or do a clean install? mac os is pretty good about upgrading to the newer os, but sometimes all the junk files it brings over can slow down the system.
  • Tulu
    Hi My drive is 250 gig, 60 gig left. Before it was 10.4.4 and now its 10.4.11. Thanks for info.
  • leejandsue
    usually the apple updates don't slow down your system. what about your memory? if previous suggestions don't work, let me know. Lee
  • leejandsue
    some other good links i found: http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html#Anchor-36279 http://www.kenrickparish.com/jgeerling/articles/computing/mac-slow.html I am fairly new to the mac, but have been using windows for years, and if you have the option to move some of your files such as movies, music, etc to another hard drive, that should speed up your system. i know you have 60gb left on the drive, but when the operating system has to manage all those big files as well your operating system is moving more slowly. i use a separate partition for my files to keep it running more smoothly, but if you partition your drive within mac os x, then you would lose all your files. supposedly, the program ipartition allows you to partition your drive without losing your files...but you should backup your important files before using any kind of utility...just to be on the safe side. Lee
  • Tulu
    Dear Lee Thanks a lot for the info. I am going to install the external 250 gig drive with my g5 and move most of my music and video files there. I use Mac and PC at the same time and I like mac. Presently I am havinf problem with my Logic Pro 7, it is crashing at the first place. Anyway, thanks again. Tulu
  • Jim Kanter
    Tulu, Keep your media files and system/applications on separate hard drives. Firewire is better than USB for large media files. Most of the time applications tend to start crashing when the user preferences file becomes corrupted. OSX has separate folders for each user. Open a finder window and on the left hand side there should be a column with mounted volumes and favorite locations. There is a house icon next to the name of the person currently logged on. Click on that name. Open the Library folder and then open the Preferences folder. That's where you'll find the user preferences file. Find the one for the app and rename it by adding something like "old" to the file name. When you start the app again it will start as though it's the first time. You will lose all your customized settings but more often than not it helps keep the app running properly. Hope this helps.
  • leejandsue
    thanks jim for the tip about preferences (learn something new everyday)..no problem tulu, glad to help out..one last link i found for speeding up the mac... http://www.maclife.com/article/feature_revitalize_restore_and_renew_your_mac?page=0%2C0 Lee
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: