macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BustAMoveCJ
    How to unlock files.
    I plugged in my old external hard drive which contains all my music and pictures and everything works fine except it says the folders are locked and read only. Is there any way to fix this? thanks. CJ.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: How to unlock files.
    Hi CJ & Welcome to MacProVideo Forums! Click on the folder once to select it & go to File > Get Info (Command - I) The info window for your file/folder pops up. Click on the Ownership & permissions disclosure arrow at the bottom to view the extended options and check that you have: You Can: [i]Read and write[/i] Make sure your current user account has access . If you need to change that and you see a locked padlock click on it. You may be asked to confirm your OSX password. Click on [i]Apply to enclosed items...[i] Let us know if that helps. Cheers Rounik
  • Wantless
    An even easier way to do this, since it is an external drive, is to click the "Ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox in the bottom of the get info window in the Ownership and Permissions section.
  • BustAMoveCJ
    It still isn't working, on the Get Info option window, in sharing and permissions it only has an option to read, not write. i'm using 10.5 Leopard now if this makes any difference. thanks. Cj.
  • Wantless
    Curiouser and curiouser.... I just hooked up a drive to my 10.5 test machine and the sharing options are grayed out. There seems to be a lock in the lower left hand corner of the info window. If you click on it, you should be prompted to enter an admin username/password. Then you should be able to click the "ignore ownership on this volume" checkbox and be good to go. If this doesn't work, could you open disk utility and select the drive and let us know what the partition scheme of the drive is? B.
  • BustAMoveCJ
    It's only certain files inside the hard drive that are read only. I should have specified earlier. it means i can't create new files inside that i need to keep stuff tidy. it's got the little padlock on the files but not in the bottom left hand corner. like this: [url]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6973/picture1ae0.png[/url] and it's only on the files My Music and My Photos.
  • Wantless
    Oh! These folders either have locks on them that need to be cleared. Try getting info on each folder and click on the General disclosure triangle and see if the "Locked" checkbox is checked. If so, uncheck it. See if it works then. If you would rather just clear all locks on the entire disk in one fell swoop, copy and paste this into a terminal window: chflags -R nouchg "/Volumes/EXT DISK" Note: This command will only work if you have already checked the "Ignore ownership on volume" as I specified earlier B
  • BustAMoveCJ
    I've tried un-ticking the boxes but when i do the tick stays there and won't let me unlock it. I need to know how to do the "Ignore ownership on volume" part though.
  • sallyo
    Hi BustAMoveCJ, i have the some problem, i have a new mac with my old pictures and all my music on an external HD and i cant open them either, if you have found out how to do this please can you let me know. thanks.
  • BustAMoveCJ
    Sorry, still no such luck, what I did was made new folders on the disc titled "My NEW Music" and "My NEW Pictures" and just copied and pasted all the files within the originals and just hid the old ones. sorry. CJ.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: