macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sw6uk
    MacBook or iMac?
    Hello I used to work as a graphic designer and would like to get back to my design job. I'm thinking of buying a new Mac and I'm not sure if I would get a MacBook or iMac. I've never worked with MacBook but worked with PC laptop. Are most of design works done by desktop Mac such as PowerMac or iMac in the office or some designers work with their MacBook? Is there any possibility to carry MacBook to the office from time to time if I would also work from home? One thing that worried me is when I saw MacBooks in the Apple shop the screen was a bit small to do graphic jobs compared to iMac. I'd appreciate if you give me some advice to buy Mac.
  • Christian L
    Re: MacBook or iMac?
    Hi, You are right, I think that the 13-inch MacBook screen is a little small to do graphic jobs. One simple solution is to use an external display. The new iMac is hard to beat. Excellent performance and great price... but not very portable. It all depends on how much you need portability. If you do get a MacBook I'm sure it is worth it to invest in an external display. Take care! Christian
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:1687]The new iMac is hard to beat. Excellent performance and great price... but not very portable. It all depends on how much you need portability. If you do get a MacBook I'm sure it is worth it to invest in an external display. [/quote] The iMac is a great machine indeed. I've been using a slightly older 2.16ghz machine as my main studio machine and it's performance has been great. The new ones are even better. However, bear in mind that both the mac books and the imac's are only available with glossy screens. I don't know how you would feel about this doing design work. If it's a big issue then you could get a macbook and a monitor. In favour of the imac again are the powerful graphics cards. If you ever needed to use programs such as Motion then AFAIK a macbook's built in graphics card doesn't have enough memory to run it. If you'll be using photoshop, illustrator etc then it would be fine. A macbook pro would be better of course, and you could choose a matte screen and at least 15.4" - the apple store online has refurbished mac's that reduce the price difference between a refurb MBP and a new MB. Let us know what you choose or if you have any more questions. Cheers Rounik
  • sw6uk
    Thank you Rounik. I am going to use InDesign,QuarkExpress, Illustrator, Photoshop on Mac.
  • sw6uk
    How can I have an external display? Do they sell some screen called external display? thank you christian
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi sw6uk, An external display is a separate monitor. It could be any monitor that you use with a pc that can be connected to from your macbook or imac using the display out port. Any computer equipment high street retailer will sell a range of these. Apple displays are beautiful but tend to be more expensive than other brands. From the applications you mentioned above, the more screen space you have the better. But, if you need portability then a macbook should be ok. I'd really recommend checking out the macbook, macbook pro and the imac again at an Apple store/reseller to get a feel for which would suit you best. Cheers Rounik
  • Darren
    Hi SW6UK, I have a range of MACs for different purposes. Amongst them I have a 15" macbook pro and a 24" iMac. I previously had a Macbook, but upgraded to the MacbookPro, because I found the Macbook screen a little small for my purposes (Logic Pro). I think that as a graphic artist you might be in the same boat on screen size. The iMac 24 is great. All the screen real estate you could need, and plenty of speed and storage.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: