macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Kristoff
    External USB drive
    Hi guys, I have a question about an external UBS HD. Do you need to eject the drive before shutting the machine down?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: External USB drive
    Hi Kristoff, No. Any external drive (USB or firewire) in my experience is fine when you shut down your Mac without ejecting it. You only need to eject it before physically disconnecting it from your mac. Cheers Rounik
  • Kristoff
    The reason I asked is because my SEAGATE!!! 500GB drive decided it would not show up on my desktop last night. So I unplugged it after shutting down, then booted, put USB cable in but it would still not show up. So i lost alot of music and logic projects and had to go get a new one!!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Kristoff, Really sorry to hear that! Unfortunately hard drives can and do fail... Can you still hear the hard drive spinning when it is connected to the power supply? It may be possible to recover that data from the drive but that might be expensive... Take care Rounik
  • Christian L
    Sometimes a drive won't mount but it doesn't mean that the drive is dead. First thing to try is repairing the disk with Disk Utility (applications / Utilities). If you still can't mount the drive, use a 3rd party disk utility like DiskWarrior[url]http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html[/url] Christian
  • Bj
    Hi Kristoff, Do you have an external power supply for your seagate? I have found that any USB drive over 120 gigs requires one... Cheers, Bj
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: