macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BustAMoveCJ
    No disk space?! help!?
    I foolishly clicked "Erase Free Space" on disk utility, now regretting that choice, is there any way to reverse it? Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: No disk space?! help!?
    Hi BustAMoveCJ, No, you can't reverse it. But, you realise by "erasing free space" you have not deleted any current files on your system. What you've done is securely erased the empty space on your drive. Basically this means that any already deleted files can not be recovered. But, anything that had NOT been deleted previous to you pressing the button, will NOT be deleted. Cheers Rounik
  • BustAMoveCJ
    yeah i understand that bit, but surely there's a way to delete the disk image left by the process in the private files?
  • Rounik Admin
    I wasn't aware that Disk Utility created a disk image when doing this process... What size is the disk image? Do you let Disk Utility complete the task or cancel it before it had finished? Are you able to drag the disk image to the trash or eject it? Cheers Rounik
  • BustAMoveCJ
    the disk image was nearly 90gb worth, which would make sense to be it, so i moved it to trash and secure deleted it, but still no luck.
  • Rounik Admin
    OK. So, I assume you didn't cancel the Disk Utility while it was erasing free space? Try restarting your Mac. It should clear any disk images... Also, open Disk Utility and you should see the Disk Image in the side bar. Click on Unmount or Eject. Then restart your Mac. Any joy? How much space do you have available? Cheers Rounik
  • BustAMoveCJ
    fixed it, did an archive and install. saved all apps and settings and stuff, then it brought back my free space, gonna create a time machine now, in case i'm stupid enough to press it again! haha.
  • Rounik Admin
    Great news! Might be an idea to clone your system drive too. I find that helps to know you have a complete bootable clone of your startup drive. I use a free app called Carbon Copy Cloner: [url]http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html[/url] Cheers Rounik
  • BustAMoveCJ
    cheers! i'm on to it!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: