macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bjpent
    Manipulate Folders Outside of Finder?
    Hello, I'm a Windows XP native and I've been using Mac OS X for a while, but there are some things that I am still able to do much more quickly in XP than in OS X. For those unfamiliar with Explorer, it is Windows' equivalent of Finder. For example, in XP, I can manipulate files and folders in Windows Explorer, but I can also do the same in dialog boxes of other programs. For example, if I go to File/Open in Microsoft Word, I can copy and paste folders from that same dialog box, move them around, delete folders, create new folders, rename files and folders, etc. without having to switch back to Explorer. Is there any way to do the same thing in Mac OS X without having to switch back to Finder all the time? Also, my second question has to do with moving quickly between different Finder windows and folder paths. If I have one Finder window open and I am 3 or 4 subdirectories deep, is there any way to copy/paste the full path of that subdirectory so I don't have to open the same subdirectory one by one in the next Finder window? For example, if I am in Mac HD > Files > Music > Rock > New music, and I want to open the same directory in another finder window, do I have to repeat the whole process again by going to Mac HD, then Files, then Music, then Rock, etc. or is there a way to quickly get to the same subdirectory in the second window. In XP, I would just copy the full folder path at the top of the Explorer window from one window and paste it to the next Explorer window. Would really appreciate your input! Thank you much, AG
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Manipulate Folders Outside of Finder?
    Hi AG, AFAIK you can't delete or move folders from within the "Save" dialog box of most apps. However, many apps, e.g. Firefox allow you to create a New Folder in the Save dialog window. To open a Folder path in a new Finder window I'd advise the following: First make sure you have the Path Bar enabled in the Finder (I'm assuming you have OS X 10.5 Leopard): - View > Show Path Bar - Now navigate to a folder/path. - Control-click (right click) on the folder name or icon in the Path Bar and select "Open Enclosing Folder". A new Finder window will open showing the contents of that folder. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: